This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Any other Ag Teachers/FFA Advisors Here?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
dknapp1
Zip Code: 67546

Any other Ag Teachers/FFA Advisors Here?

Postby dknapp1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Seeking any other Ag teachers or FFA Advisors who might be on here. Do you guys allow tractor restorations in your program? What do you do with donated tractors to the school/program? Where do you pull the money from for the restoration and if you sell it, where does the money go, back into the program, or for scholarships? Have you had any luck with Titan Tires donating tires? I haven't been able to get them to respond back to me in 2 years.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Any other Ag Teachers/FFA Advisors Here?

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Suggest you submit a complete list of questions concerning the topic to the school's superintendent and the school board.

Having taught high school auto mechanics and "shop" for a number of years, the main problem with school supported shop/AG projects was the school's budget, lack of funds.

Another issue, school districts policies vary greatly.

Probably the easiest way to handle some of the questions is to work on a student's tractor and have the student fund the project.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:19 pm

The one we did we sold chances to win it. Had some sponsorships to buy parts. Money went back into the general fund of our program.

In my system, if a tractor is donated and the school writes a "donation letter" to the donor so they can claim it on their taxes, the tractor becomes school property and if we sell it it has to go through the auction process just like any other surplus equipment. If someone just gives us one and there's no paper trail, we can pretty much do whatever we want with it.

I'd talk to your book keeper/school secretary about rules/laws/policies. I'm sure you've been around long enough to know not to go to the board or superintendent first! :roll:

Hope this helps,
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Super A wrote:I'd talk to your book keeper/school secretary about rules/laws/policies. I'm sure you've been around long enough to know not to go to the board or superintendent first!
Most school districts have their policies and procedures posted online.

Regarding Super A's suggestion, depends on how well you get along with the superintendent and school board members.

Last school I taught at, if supplies/parts were purchased with school district funds and sold, I had to add 10% to the school purchase price. The funds didn't return to my program, but to the district's general fund.

Have done tractors, motor cycles, and a hot rod in school shops. The one and only hot rod was a really great educational tool. Students were motivated and really interested. Superintendent, school board, and other teachers didn't think very much of hot rod idea and told me so.

Industrail technology/shop instructors have a loose knit association within Missouri. My might check with FFA/Voc AG instructors in your state for their suggestions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:06 am

I'm sure Bill Hudson will have answers for you.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:18 am

Rick Prentice wrote:I'm sure Bill Hudson will have answers for you.

I'm not sure that I can improve on Al's or Eugene's answers. The rules/policies will vary from school to school and state to state. That said, repairing/restoring a tractor is a wonderful student learning experience.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Our county ag school has stopped doing antique restorations. They want the students to concentrate on modern machinery that they are likely to encounter in the work force. (I'm an advisor to the mechanics program, but have little to say, about policies like this>)

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

dknapp1
Zip Code: 67546

Postby dknapp1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone. We have had turnover with admins in the 9 years I have been here so I tend to operate under the rules of "better to ask for forgiveness then permission" on the majority of what we do in the shop as I am lucky if an admin comes through my facility once in a year. Being as the tractor was donated we are looking to restore it and then will sell it and use the money made to fund student scholarship for those students who are working on it. Funds are just a little different right now with all things Covid making things tough for everyone so my alumni group and advisory committee are helping me to find funds to make it happen. Appreciate the advice and guidance of the group.

Return to “Off Topic”