This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Wheelright Craftsman

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

A Wheelright Craftsman

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Folks,

I've been spending a lot of downtime nursing a painful back. During this time I found some YouTube videos to be therapeutic. One I found that is truly enjoyable is engelscoachshop.

Dave Engel is a master wheelright and a true craftsman in every sense of the word. An example of his work is the 40 video collection of the "Borax Wagons." A lot of you remember, 20 Mule Team Borax, well, Dave built those two wagons and the attendant water wagon. Wagons that were last built in the 1880s. The borax wagons weigh 8300 pounds each. Each rear wheel weighs 1080 pounds each. The steel tires are made from 1"x8" steel. Imagine setting those tires on the wheel, while they are hot!

Take a look if you enjoy true craftsmanship in a rare art. YouTube search "engelscoachshop."

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Re: A Wheelright Craftsman

Postby ctltmp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks Bill. I'll check it out. Sounds interesting.

Hope your back starts to feel better. I suffer from back problems myself. It's no fun that's for sure.
WV Mike

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:02 am

Have subscribed to his channel. Amazing skills to say the least.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:54 am

What a skilled craftsman.
The knowledge he has for that trade is incredible. Can’t imagine what the two wheels for the 1907 car cost the museum.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Folks,

I've been spending a lot of downtime nursing a painful back. During this time I found some YouTube videos to be therapeutic. One I found that is truly enjoyable is engelscoachshop.

Dave Engel is a master wheelright and a true craftsman in every sense of the word. An example of his work is the 40 video collection of the "Borax Wagons." A lot of you remember, 20 Mule Team Borax, well, Dave built those two wagons and the attendant water wagon. Wagons that were last built in the 1880s. The borax wagons weigh 8300 pounds each. Each rear wheel weighs 1080 pounds each. The steel tires are made from 1"x8" steel. Imagine setting those tires on the wheel, while they are hot!

Take a look if you enjoy true craftsmanship in a rare art. YouTube search "engelscoachshop."

Bill
losing our old skills to time is disconcerting , but , how many of us need " buggy whips " :?: euphemism , yes , but you have to respect the old skills while still relevant . some of my work has " fallen by the wayside " . The work is still there , but , for how long :?: I am tired , my hands hurt when i wake up . But , I AM NOT GIVING UP :D :D :D coppersmythe.........................PS: GOSH , I'D LOVE TO "WORK" THERE ...........................PPS: BILL , We need you , take care of yourself :!: :!: :!:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 pm

My great grandfather, Charles Puckett, was a wheelwright. He and his brother Ike built 50 wagons for the California Gold Rush in one year. That included going to the woods, cutting the trees, and then cutting them into lumber for the wagons. That was a lot of work.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

clemk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03741
Tractors Owned: 51 cub
Fast Hitch
Cub22 mower
193 plow
L54 plow
C2 mower

1945 Ford 2N with aftermarket loader

Postby clemk » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:30 am

Yeah, there's a few channels I couldn't help but subscribe. All the standbys. Both Keith's, Adam, those kind of channels. One of the ones I really like besides Engelscoachshop is David Richards. If you haven't seen that one, and like steam and belt driven, check that one out
Circle of Safety If nothing else, I'm good at being the bad example or a last resort

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:28 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:My great grandfather, Charles Puckett, was a wheelwright. He and his brother Ike built 50 wagons for the California Gold Rush in one year. That included going to the woods, cutting the trees, and then cutting them into lumber for the wagons. That was a lot of work.
Forgot to mention, I have a few of his hand tools including a very basic drill press (no gears, crank on the top of shaft, one round of crank turned the bit one round. Wheel directly on the screw to run bit down.).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Off Topic”