This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Impacts

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Impacts

Postby T-Mo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:46 am

Eugene wrote:There should be a law. TV channels can not call a rerun NEW just by moving the program to another channel. It's not new if it's a rerun with few seconds of different programing. It's not a new if the program is made up of bits and pieces from 5 or 6 episodes.

With all the coverage of Covid-19, the news have become reruns...just non-stop coverage, with statistics, warnings, advice from so-called medical experts, feel good stories, feel bad stories, etc. I miss the political campaign ads.... :shock:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:12 pm

“With all the coverage of Covid-19, the news have become reruns...just non-stop coverage, with statistics, warnings, advice from so-called medical experts, feel good stories, feel bad stories, etc. I miss the political campaign ads.... :shock:[/quote]”

I’ve never seen a soap opera in my life, but the old joke was that you could stop watching it for 6 months, then resume watching it, and the same plot would still be on going. I don’t have cable or satellite TV, but when I look at news on the Internet or turn on talk radio, it’s beating a subject to death with nothing really new, in many cases for days or weeks on end. So much filling hours and pages with repetition and speculation and blame this guy or that guy and “experts” talking. You could turn most of it off and not miss a thing. It’s been that way for years with the stories about some missing girl. I realize we have the choice to watch it or turn it off, which is why I dropped it. At least with the Internet, you pick and choose what you want to read and skip the rest.

Unless you really like sports, or want to watch a specific live news or business channel, I can’t see much point to subscribing to satellite or cable. I really like steaming TV where you watch it whenever you want to. I had Hulu for $6 a month and watched all the Investigation Discovery shows I tend to like then once I ran out of shows, I dropped it. My wife only watches Hallmark TV, UP TV, etc. so now I got her a streaming service called FRNDLY TV which has all those channels live and on demand for $80 a year.

My wife has 3 days off away from the ER starting tomorrow. Gets more tense by the day for the doctors and nurses. There is now a Covid-19 test that gives you a result within 15 minutes. I’ll be glad when they have that readily available for health care workers. It won’t change the stress they feel when dealing with a patient, but at least employees could be tested regularly and be sent home before they enter the building. Right now they take everybody’s temperature before they enter the building but, an elevated temperature probably lags getting infected by a few days.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Went to an outdoor band concert this afternoon. Local Mennonites are not holding church services. So, they have given 3 open air concerts on weekends. Every one was properly spaced.

This concert took place just down the street at an elderly complex, have to be 65 years old to live there.

Other than attending the concert, went metal detecting for 1 1/2 hours at the fair grounds built in 1903. Very little road traffic and I'm the only one out walking around.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Stopped by a Mennonite operated deli to purchase specialty cheese, meat, and other goodies this afternoon. The deli is across the highway from the State Tech College and adjacent to 4 or 5 large multiplex apartment buildings housing Tech College students.

I asked the owner if he had seen a drop in business because of the Tech College virus closing.

Owner stated that he has had his best 3 weeks ever. Record numbers of pastries and deli items sold and his best financial day. Also said that he was now ordering supplies twice a week, previously ordered once a week.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Since the government officials recommended wearing a mask, my wife gets issued a new N95 mask each day when she arrives for work, even though she doesn’t work directly with patients. So, at least there are no mask shortages where she works in NE Ohio. We have plenty of cases in Ohio, but it is by no means a hot spot. Her job is much easier because the patient count for her ER is a little over 1/3 of what they get on a busy day during flu season.

There were significantly more cars on the local streets this weekend than on M-F, so that seems to indicate there are a lot of people working from home that waited for the weekend to go to the store or wherever. It is a holiday weekend, but I didn’t see any houses on my street that appeared to be having company.

There is a small Mennonite store near my farm in Wisconsin. We always stock up. They sell no name spices and things like sesame seeds, hot pepper seeds, cumin, etc. real cheap in lightweight snap together plastic tubs. Same with grains like rice, chickpeas. If you really like cheese, you can get what they call a “horn” which is freshly made cheese in the form of a thick cylinder shape weighing 6 pounds for $15-$18.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:26 pm

Son works for a corporation that manufacturers personal care items. Son received in the mail, a package from the corporation sent to all employees containing 4 rolls of TP, 3 protective face masks, hand sanitizer, and a couple of other items.

Apparently things are settling down. Medical appointment yesterday at a large medical clinic. A number of cars in the parking lot. The receptionist and doctor said that things (business) had picked up. Doctor and nurse must have had free time. They spent more time than normal answering my arthritis and medications questions.

Doctor asked about the virus. I told him that I lived in a rural county. 4 confirmed cases, all in one family. Schools closed, tech college close, lot of business closed, spent time on acreage, no one around.

Did tell my dead mule story while they were numbing my knee, injecting pain killer, and then lubricant into the joint. Missed a couple of points while telling the story, but dang that HURT.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:15 pm

In December I ordered a box of ten N-95 particulate masks for use when welding, cutting with an abrasive disk, and wire brushing rust buildup. Price was $27.95 with free shipping. Recently, I donated those to our local hospital system. Just for grins-n-giggles, yesterday I checked the same supplier for the identical mask, as anticipated it was "out of stock', however, a box of 10 is now $43.95. :evil:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 am

Bill Hudson wrote:In December I ordered a box of ten N-95 particulate masks for use when welding, cutting with an abrasive disk, and wire brushing rust buildup. Price was $27.95 with free shipping. Recently, I donated those to our local hospital system. Just for grins-n-giggles, yesterday I checked the same supplier for the identical mask, as anticipated it was "out of stock', however, a box of 10 is now $43.95. :evil:

Bill

I had bought a box of 20 from Graingers this past fall for grinding too. I had 18 left when this hit.
I think I paid $30 something for the box.
You can’t get anything close to a mask here now and the state has mandated everyone wear them while in a store. You can buy them online but the cheap ones come from China with an 8 week delivery time. N95’s are going straight to medical services but people are scalping them.
I saw the same box of 20 on eBay and the price was set at $450 !
It’s disgraceful.
I gave to my family and friends to keep and reuse.
Going under the plan that let sit to dry for several days would allow any viral contaminants to die off. We’re using them to grocery shop with for about an hour at a time and about once a week.
Seen a lot of people that don’t know how to wear them too. They’ll lift them away to talk, (you can talk through them ) and others wear them under their nose. Might as well not have it on at all then. :x
I’ll admit breathing through the mask isn’t easy but it can save your life or if you have it someone else’s life.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:34 pm

I was listening to a local radio station and an EBay seller got charged with price gouging in Ohio. They said the Ebay seller name, but I don’t recall it. I think they said he was charging $34 per N95 mask. Not sure how high the price per mask needs to be to be considered gouging. But that certainly is and I was glad he was charged.

I live in Ohio but have a place in Wisconsin that I’m anxious to visit, but Wisconsin now extended their “shelter in place” order until May 26. It seems a little early to extend it when it’s still 2 weeks to May 1.

I was reading a story about how in every instance, the Covid-19 infections peaked at about 6 weeks after the initial infections were reported, then rapidly subsided after that to a manageable number at the 8 week mark. And, this pattern didn’t change based on how the infected country or region dealt with it. Meaning, social distancing, etc. saved lives and resulted in less people infected, versus less restrictions, but in all cases the 6 week peak played out. Like most everything you read, it’s hard to know what to make of it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:13 pm

lyle11 wrote:. . .
I was reading a story about how in every instance, the Covid-19 infections peaked at about 6 weeks after the initial infections were reported, then rapidly subsided after that to a manageable number at the 8 week mark. And, this pattern didn’t change based on how the infected country or region dealt with it. Meaning, social distancing, etc. saved lives and resulted in less people infected, versus less restrictions, but in all cases the 6 week peak played out. Like most everything you read, it’s hard to know what to make of it.

This observation looks pretty questionable to me. I have been watching the South Dakota data fairly closely, as it is the planned location for Red Power in late June. New cases there haven't peaked yet (last week 205% increase), nor has it been 6 weeks since the first reported case (March 10, first death plus 4 active reported). Modeling indicates a "June" or "mid-June" peak is expected (depending on when the modeling was reported). Just today, the number of counties identified with "substantial community spread" was increased from 6 to 9. Regardless of exactly when any model says the peak will be reached, I can't imagine it being in the next few days when the number just tripled. Hope I'm wrong.

At the state level, South Dakota has put no social distancing in place.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm

I bought tickets to a weekend-long outdoor Folk/Bluegrass Music Festival in July that attracts 7000 people and has three main stages with music running from dawn until around 11pm daily. They announced yesterday that they're cancelling. This would have been their 40th consecutive year.
Jim

Circle of Safety

RonT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34448
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub - Whitington
1972 154 Cub Loboy
1989 Kubota L2050
1948 Willy's CJ-2A
1924 Model T Fordor

Postby RonT » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:48 pm

We have tickets and paid camping to a Bluegrass festival in W Ohio the weekend after the Bash. It's been cancelled and they offered to refund or roll over the reservation to the next year. We have another Bluegrass festival in Centre Hall PA on the first weekend in July - hoping that that one works out but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. On the bright side, I have never had so much time to work on home projects and the yard is looking fantastic.

Stay safe and well my friends.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:14 pm

The hospital my wife works at is small and physician owned so they don’t have deep pockets. They have not as yet had a spike in Covid19 patients. Their anticipated “spike” date kept slipping and now they don’t expect to get a spike. That’s a good thing. They are getting more ER patients (Non-Covid) and that’s a good thing because people that truly need to go to the ER are going. It made sense to stay away, but the hospital can’t survive without patients. They plan to start doing surgeries on May 4.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Being retired and living no where near any Coronavirus hotspots, the extent of my impact was not having had haircut in about 4-5 weeks. Today that was rectified. All is right with the world, from my perspective.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Being retired and living no where near any Coronavirus hotspots, the extent of my impact was not having had haircut in about 4-5 weeks. Today that was rectified. All is right with the world, from my perspective.

But I may be looking at this as my opportunity for a full on Joe Dirt mullet, Don.
I think Jo is still on the fence with this idea though...
Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”