This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Purchasing used surveying equipment

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Purchasing used surveying equipment

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:14 pm

Has anyone ever purchased a used surveyor's transit? Year's ago during one college summer, I worked as a surveyor's assistant. I could sure use a transit for setting levels primarily, but it would also be handy to establish square angles and corners. With all of the modern electronics surveyor's use today it would seem that the old manual transits would have become pretty reasonable. I'm just not sure where to go about looking for one while determining it is still accurate. Anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:20 pm

I looked at one last year at lowe's if I remember correctly it was under $200. You might want to check to be sure. I borrowed one never purchased it.
good luck
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:56 pm

I saw one at the thrift store in town about a month ago complete with tripod. The price was $10 and the only reason I didn`t buy it was because it would not fit in My dinky little car. I went back the next day with My truck and it had been sold.
Then came Bronson

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:24 pm

Paul,
I have been looking for a transit myself so I dont have to borrow and potentially break the company's very expensive equipment. I think what kevin was looking at is a level and not a transit. Ebay and alot of pawn shops have them and they go for a fair price. The best place to look for them is at the survey supply shops and they wil also adjust them.
john

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Some of the self leveling laser levels are good for grading too. There are some that rotate. from those you can set all kins of grades. I have seen one that shoots square corners too.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”