This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Relining Wood Burning Stove

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Relining Wood Burning Stove

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:41 am

Hello

Does anyone have experience replacing the firebrick in a wood burning stove?

I bought a used Timberline stove to put in my barn workshop for $200. Other than being well used, the only problem was that much of the firebrick was broken. I purchased new fire brick "shorts" (4" x 8" x 1 1/4" thick) at my local stone supplier.

Here's my questions:

1. Can I cut firebrick with a tile saw? I'm just concerned whether my wet diamond blade will stand up as well to firebrick as it does to tile.

2. The bricks stand on end around the steels walls inside the stove. If there were ever any top brackets to hold the firebrick in place, they are gone. Should I find some 1" angle iron and tack weld them against the top of the firebricks, or cement the bricks to each other with some sort of refractory cement?

Any help would be really appreciated - it's cold out there!

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:41 am

Paul

First clean all the remaining coals from inside the stove.Stand the new firebrick around the outside walls first,then lay the ones in for the bottom.
Getting them as close as you can.that will hold the side bricks up for you.
You can cut the fire brick with a cement blade.Do the cutting outside,there will be a lot of dust.If you find you have to weld angle iron on the sides .You have to put them high enough to be able to tilt the brick under the angle iron to stand them up under it. I really do not think you will have to do the angle iron. 8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:34 am

I find that the ash works in between and will hold everything together well, At the ends i have a bracket to hold the brick upright. You slip in the first and last then fill in the middle.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:59 pm

I have rebricked my Earth stove twice. I used stainless angle to keep side bricks in place. Welded stainless bolts to top flat of angle, drilled matching holes in sidewalls. Double nuted bolts because I did not want angle tight against brick, just snug. As said before ashes will fill in between brick.
Bill

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:25 pm

When I relined my stove I just put them in the best way they would fit. If there was a space somewhere I just let it be. Been that way now for about 5yrs.

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Paul
when i relined my stove i did it like WK did put them in to fit the best and its been good for 4 years now if only one or two break i just change them out. I 'd don't think it has to be perfect just really close.
good luck
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:27 am

I used a "composite" blade, the kind you use for cutting metal. Lotsa dust and some smoke, but it worked great.
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Return to “Off Topic”