This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gallbladder Surgery

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Gallbladder Surgery

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Piece of cake. It's been about 5 hours since the outpatient surgery. Abdominal pain level slightly below the 1 level. Have not taken any of the prescribed pain pills. Been out walking at the farmers market.

Reason I'm writing this post is that the internet after gallbladder operation procedures do not match the handout provided by the hospital.

No dietary restrictions in the hospital handout. Normal diet.

10 lb. weight restriction for 2 weeks in the hospital handout and some verbal restrictions on type of physical exercises not to do during the healing up period.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Gallbladder Surgery

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:34 pm

You may find fatty foods to e a problem, they sure are with me.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:35 pm

I am glad you are doing so well but seems like out walking about only 5 hours after might be pushing it? Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I would put much more faith in the hospital handout, than I would in the Internet. ANY Internet source.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Indy4570 wrote:Seems like out walking about only 5 hours after might be pushing it?
One of the pre-operation handouts said that I could not drive for 24 hours after the outpatient operation, but that I could either take public trasnportation or walk home.

I decided that the 30 mile one way walk home was a bit much, so had son drive me home.

Really hoping the gallblader removal solves some/all of my nausea and vomiting problems. Thinking back, I have missed two of the last three MidMo Cub Fests, being ill. Feeling great for a few days, then have to cancel a number of physical therapy and other medical appointments due to the nausea.
I have an excuse. CRS.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I would put much more faith in the hospital handout, than I would in the Internet. ANY Internet source.

If it's on the internet, then it MUST be true! :lol:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Just spent the day taking my wife to/from the hospital...getting her gallbladder removed. We’re hoping she feels better soon; hoping the same for you.
Fortunately, it sounds like you are recovering a little quicker than Robyn.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Going back through my computer stored medical records, first medical check disclosing possible gallbladder problems was 30 Dec 2014. Was also going through spine and right hip problems. Could only walk or stand for a couple of minutes. Wheelchair for even short distances.

Referral to internal medicine and several tests, disclosed gallbladder stones. Turned down for a gallbladder operation at that time due to physical condition.

Physical therapy sessions for stenosis in upper spine and later more sessions of physical therapy for right hip, and a series on injections in right hip.

Any way, since Dec 14, almost daily trips to the gym to build up my strength, that and working on the acreage until I couldn't stand the pain. Sit down until the pain passed, go back at the task.

In pretty good physical condition. I has appointments with the surgeon several times before the scheduled operation. Day of the operation the surgeon spent perhaps 2 minutes looking of the pre-op nurses notes, asked me if I had any questions. Post-op the surgeon just looked into the recovery room. By that time I was awake and sitting up. Surgeon and I waved at each other, he left.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 pm

My gall bladder is gone, too. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember much about the recovery process. But, I don't recall it being difficult or lengthy. Gall bladder was removed laparoscopically. I assume yours was too.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Gall bladder was removed laparoscopically. I assume yours was too.
That's correct.

12 hours since the operation. No significant pain, taken no pain pills, Have two different prescription pain pills on hand, one for the gallbladder and one for right hip pain.

Will only take ibuprofen, mostly for back pain, before going to bed. Will know how well that works by tomorrow morning.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cubbrian
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47631
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub w/9 different 1 point implements
1948 Cub
1948 McCormick W-6
1949 H
1949 M
1961 560 w/ 412 fast hitch plow
1966 140
1973 666
Allis Chalmers C w/sickle mower
Case 400
Economy 14 hp tractor

Postby cubbrian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Hope you're still recovering well Eugene. Maybe you can make it to Cubarama this year? Haven't seen you for quite a few years.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 am

:Dito:

My wife's nausea finally subsided on Friday, the 3rd day after the operation. We were glad to see her finally be able to eat/drink again without fear of repercussions. Her one week follow-up is today.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

cubbrian wrote:Hope you're still recovering well Eugene. Maybe you can make it to Cubarama this year? Haven't seen you for quite a few years.
Doing well. Actually getting bored with the weight limitation and restrictions on type of physical activity. 7 more days of restrictions.

Wife is on my case when she thinks I'm exceeding the restrictions. Told the wife a couple days ago that I was going to go mow on the acreage. Nope, wife said that she did not want me crawling on and off the tractors.

Cubarama, probably not. Having lumbar region pain problems, which limits the length of time I can stand.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:40 pm

Eugene wrote:
cubbrian wrote:.......

Cubarama, probably not. Having lumbar region pain problems, which limits the length of time I can stand.

Wanna borrow my scooter, or the golf cart?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Wanna borrow my scooter, or the golf cart?
At this time, I really don't know if I'm going to Cubarama.

Week of 12 - 18 August is the first entire week where I have not had some sort of medical appointment in some time. Next week I have two follow up appointments for previous procedures.

July, I had 11 medical and physical therapy appointments.

No I'm not dying. Just catching up on medical appointments that I have had to cancel over the past couple of years. With the gallbladder, I would be feeling good for a while, make a medical appointment. Day of or a few days before the appointment, gallbladder would act up, nausea or vomiting.

And then I have some tasks that I need to catch up on, tree down in the pasture, 3 months worth of mowing to catch up on.

Son and I were talking about the weight and physical activity limitations. Son pointed out that I was wrong on my weight limitation, it's 5 lbs. Told son that I have wrenches that weighed more than 5 lbs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”