This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Quiz - identify the tool!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Re: Quiz - identify the tool!

Postby mozer71 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:12 am

I guess there were outhouses back when my dad told me. He said that there was a crib of many corncobs. One corncob on a string, was a joke. I think the use for batteries' posts makes perfect sense. Big ole 6 volt batteries hauled across to whatever by two sons. When I think about it, as a child, there were few things that were really that heavy.
Childhood's end and be ready. Don't get much lighter...

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dusty B » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm

OK - Sorry for the delay - Things have been hectic the last couple of days!! Have any of you tried to set a battery in an enclosed battery box w/o one of the old fashioned battery lift handles?? either drop it in, lay it on its side and slide it in, (not possible when the battery box is fastened on the tractor)!
TA DAH!! Dusty's improvised battery handle!! one for each post (could hook it straight across to take it out because the battery was dead!). Corncob keeps the wire from cutting into your hand and provides a comfortable grip!! Of course you DO need to have corncobs available!! LOL ! As you can tell I do have too much spare time on my hands! Cub and Super A up on blocks, 2 more Cubs waiting for attention! going to be a short summer! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dusty B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 am

Don't know why my answer didn't post?! Anyway have any of you tried to put a battery in a full battery box (on the tractor??) w/o one of the old fashioned battery handles (new 6V batteries don't have built in handles!). Just hooked wire across to take the old one out (dead!) but that wouldn't work w/live one! Corn cobs are more comfortable than just bare wire. Don't know if the rubber strap handles are still available or not?? haven't checked eBay .Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:05 am

Dusty, yes I have and some cars are about as bad. That is the reason I keep one of the commercial models I posted, corn cobs are hard to find around here. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:08 am

Eugene wrote:Looks like a corn cob holder found in outhouses. Corn cob used instead of toilet paper or non glossy catalog paper.

I have heard of roller towes that simply rolled the same towel around again, but REFUSE to use a roller cob. :x
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tom coffey
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28638
Tractors Owned: Bolens G9 garden tractor

Postby tom coffey » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 am

Anybody know the proper way to use corncobs in the outhouse? There were white cobs and red cobs, red being more plentiful than white. You used a red one, then a white one to see if you needed to use another red one. Useful info that most people don't know these days. Slightly offtopic, excuse me, had to seize the rare opportunity to share this info.
Jesus loves me. This I know.
Happy motorin' to you n your'n