This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12" Square linoleum Tiles

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

12" Square linoleum Tiles

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 pm

Please learn from our experience. Yes the 12" squares are nice, easy to put in, and cheap. Easy to install. and even look nice for awhile. :D However after a short period of time, they will begin to lift, dirt will gather in the cracks, and if you install as per the directions, you may end up with 1-2" pieces on the ends, which carry a lot of weight and variation. which will cause them to rip up. as illustrated by the pics. with teh wife being anal about clean floors, it had to go. in the pics you should see the poor quality product, mentioned. i through in a final pic as well. (i need to clean my camera lense evidently (oops it was the computer screen - not camera), as the new floor sparkles) The new floor is in, may not be perfect, but much better than the old.
before - this was as clean as it would get
close up inside door
close up outside door

final pic

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:57 pm

Vidiodoc, On my days off at the Fire Department I insall Floor tile. I can honestly tell you that you get what you pay for in floor tile. I can't count how many times I have done jobs in Rental units that the owner wanted to put down the peal and stick tiles. And the job looked like a cheap tile job. Some people want a professional job with second rate material. For the money spend the $ and buy the best grade of material you can afford and you won't be disappointed. I have found that in some of the cheap tile grades that the tiles may not be square causing the installer real headaches. Just my 2 Cents The floor looks good. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:46 pm

When laying tile squares you over all measure the room or space and put in center lines. you the make a dry run to each wall from the center either using tiles or a story pole. You then move your center guide lines so that at each major wall or traffic lane you never have less than 1/2 of a tile. In other words you never have less than 6 inches with 12 x 12 tiles. This stops the lifting in most cases. This is the way it is done in commercial buildings including Radio City in New York. I worked on the construction of the Time and life building, Prudential insurance building. Sperry Rand building, Americana Hotel, The NY hilton and CBS building in NY as well as others. That is the way all these jobs were laid out. Many of the buildings are over 50 stories tall so that was on heck of a lot of tile. True the lawyers and executive offices had wood or carpet but the majority was tile.
As far as self stick tiles they are good but smoky as fire starters.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”