This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Appreciate comments on land survey problem.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:41 pm

Marion(57 Loboy) wrote:
I did that for years at a home we owned a while ago. I had a small lot that backed up to an unused field. I mowed and mowed and mowed until "my" lot was about 100 feet deeper than it really was, just to have the view, a spot for playing ball, badminton, horseshoes and crap like that. I never did know who owned it...and I NEVER, EVER thought by mowing it for my own enjoyment that I'd EVER have ANY say so in the property!

Marion,

You've described exactly the problem we've had with several of our properties. Neighbors mow to keep the weeds down, which we appreciate, but then they move their burn barrel to the extreme of whatever they mow and then store their whatever stuff on the staked out area. Since the friend who farms the land as a partnership doesn't want to get tangled with the junk, campers, firewood, or boats or run any of it through his chisel plow or IH rotary combine, he keeps a safe distance and the line keeps moving.

In the past, I've politely used my dozer to shove stuff back where it came from, but I no longer have a dozer.

Owning farm land adjacent to four subdivisions isn't a picnic, and it's really hard to avoid becoming an a$$hole.

I've NEVER had anyone ask permission. One even planted a garden and fenced it off! He acted offended when I objected! He claimed the right to fence it on my land, because otherwise the critters would get his crops.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:37 pm

I understand George. But I never put any burn barrels or stuff to store etc etc. No junk! Heck, I mowed it with the rest of my yard, put down weedkiller and fertilizer, and ran the roller over it to make it a lawn.

Not only that, had the owner ever stopped by to say he'd rather me not be on his property, I'd have gladly stopped and thanked him for tolerating the 'playground' till then. I would have made a friend, not an adversary. I'd like to think that even though I used part of that field without permission, I still showed some respect by not boogering it up.

I think perhaps that is the difference here between good neighbors and and those that ruin it for the rest of us.

I cannot even think of the leap in good judgment it would take for me to think that I had more right to pitch shoes with my buddies on the 4th of July weekend or the kids play games than the owner had to keep us off!!!

I guess the real irritation for landowners comes not with the encroachment, but rather the attitude the people give you once you bring it up??

Like, what if the 'gardener' would have apologized and then asked to be able to keep the fence till harvest and then take it down and not garden anymore??

Also, I wasn't implying that the rightful landowners were buttheads for asking people to stay off. It's the people who cop an attitude when they know they are wrong.

Besides, putting junk in the weeds at the edge of the field can damage farm equipment that costs tens of thousands of $$$ and more....not cool.

Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Well here is an update on our survey problem. Since my post in Oct. 05, I contacted 2 different lawyers and since I work at our Justice Center I talked to one of our judges. All 3 concurred that I am in my right to continue with my fence line per our survey due to the fact that their was no visible fence line of any kind (as in tree line, stone fence or somewhat erect post and wire type fence).

So 3 weeks ago I sent our neighbor a registered letter stating the above and said I was going to continue on or around the week of 4 June 06 with the fence. He called and stated that he was going to get his brother up to do a survey in a week or two. I said I would hold off till the middle of the month.

Well tonight he called and left a message that he had 2 State surveyors up today doing the survey. He said that the fence line I was putting up was within 1/2" of what they came up with. Yeah hoooo. It did work out in the end anyhow. :D :D :D :D

Just want to say thanks again for all the responses you guys sent. It was comforting to know that you guys were thinking on the same page as I was. Thanks.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:53 am

Good Deal. 8) 8) 8) 8)
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:22 am

Cool Jeff :lol:

Glad it worked out. Feels good t be proved right :!: I have a disagreement with my neibor to the south. Over about 5' I mesured form the cretified mark in the road and he had told me wher the marker was on his corner which was mowe dow broke off and buried and I had to get a metal dector to find it. He has a row of pines I say is on my property and I say is on mine. But I get along with him sometimes he mowes it sometimes he does. I put my horse pasture fence 20' feet into my property so I have room to drive around it and store stuff behind it with out going in and out a gate all the time. I hope no one ever thinks my fence is the property line :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Off Topic”