This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shop building

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rusty red
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63783
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1957? Cub
Farmall H (long term project)
1947 Plymouth (project)
1947 2N ford
Circle of Safety: Y

Shop building

Postby Rusty red » Thu May 09, 2024 3:38 pm

I am at the point where I am ready to build a shop at my new place. I am undecided on which type of building to do. I'm either going to do a stick built building on concrete or a metal frame building. The metal frame would be the cheaper solution. Does anyone here have one and if so what are your experiences with them?

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Shop building

Postby Super A » Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 am

I put up a "real, actual shop" in 2022.

In my neck of the woods, this company is really popular. They've installed a lot of buildings. I took a hard look at them and though they could supply what I was looking for, I just couldn't wrap my head around how lightweight they "looked." https://www.superiormsc.com/

I ended up putting up a Morton Building. It's a wood framed pole barn. I've always liked them because of their ads in Progressive Farmer magazine back in the 80s....I was VERY happy with how it turned out. It cost more, but I feel like I got a good building.

Whatever you do, put up the biggest building with the most features that you can afford. If you don't, you'll regret it later!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri May 10, 2024 12:13 pm

Agree with Al. Figure out what size building you think you need, then double it. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 10, 2024 1:30 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Agree with Al. Figure out what size building you think you need, then double it. :D

Yes, sir!
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 10, 2024 3:56 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:Agree with Al. Figure out what size building you think you need, then double it.
Had a 30' x 40' wood framed pole barn put up on site. Barn construction cost a bit over $6K. Son and I installed the cement floor and electricity.

We had a wider and taller main machinery door installed and an extra machinery door included in the construction.

Should have constructed a larger building.

Edit: Translucent panels were not included in the builder's bid. After using the building for a while, we added then on the buildings end panels near the peak and both of the machinery doors. They really add in a lot of light.
Last edited by Eugene on Fri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:12 pm

I can't advise on one type over another, but I found a few things I'd do different, if I had to do it over. I had a 40 X 60, 14' tall pole barn built about 8 years ago. The builder did a fantastic job, great quality!
I put in 3 roll up doors; 2 - 10 X 10 and 1 10 X 12. 10' wide seemed logical, almost a foot on each side of a trailer or truck. That's tighter than I thought, especially backing in a trailer. I should have gone 12' wide.
14' tall has been fine for my current use. I went with scissors trusses and have adequate head room in my loft storage area above my finished shop area that has 9' ceiling (16 X 40). 16' tall walls would have eliminated ducking on the sloped sides. Also would allow for a taller door if I ever wanted to store a taller RV inside.
I have 4" cement throughout, which is supposed to be adequate for some 2 post lifts, some, not. I should have gone thicker in a couple potential lift areas.
Vapor barrier, under the cement would be definite, must have! Little expense with big benefits to address sweaty floors a few times a year.
All of these things would have obviously added cost, but in my opinion, would have been worth the money.
Final comment is to have a man door on the back wall, especially if you have all door on one side. A safety and convenient thing to have, I'm glad it was recommended to me and I dis it.
I'm glad I got mine built and pretty much finished when I did, it would probably cost 50% more now to do it!

Best of luck, which ever way you go,
David

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:23 pm

Oops, one more thing I added, that I love is 4 windows across the front. They are in my finished shop end and not only add natural light, but I love have a view when I'm in there, less claustrophobic! Any cut outs made to the exterior metal opens the chance for water leaks, must be properly installed and sealed. I had to chase a leak until I got one window sealed properly.
Best of luck,
David

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri May 10, 2024 11:46 pm

Mine is 60' x 120' x 16' , -- NO windows, 1 solid walk in door, 40' side doors, 32' end door on the North end. --- still have trouble with thieves tearing holes in the walls to get in and steal stuff, so the shed is useless to me. --- In the process of trying to find a buyer for it to remove it and take it home with them.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat May 11, 2024 10:33 am

Things we did wrong.

We should have increased the side wall height to 12 feet instead of 8 feet. Then we could have installed an overhead shop crane/trolley. Would have provided more end wall storage space.

We didn't plan the location of large non-movable shop equipment which cover electrical switches and outlets.

Things we did right.

Son and I visited the builder's business site and toured the fully constructed display buildings. Then discussed the upgrades and building's layout.

Covered the bottom 4' of interior walls with sheet metal to protect/keep things from hitting the building's exterior sheet metal.

Exterior motion activated lights. Interior and exterior cameras recording everything.

200 amp electrical service.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat May 11, 2024 2:29 pm

To add to David’s comment about the vapor barrier. Include a floor drain for each bay and slope the floor to each drain. Insulate the interior of the walls and roof with z-fold insulation.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat May 11, 2024 2:59 pm

I have seen Davids's shop and I like the view with his windows. However, if I had those windows in my they would be covered with shelving. :lol:

I went with the 16 foot walls with scissors trusses, but my shop with a loft has ten foot ceiling. I ended up hitting my head on the trusses on the ends. Probably should have gone with 9 foot shop walls, But I wanted to keep my ceiling fan a bit higher.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety