This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Emerald Ash Borer Treatment

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Emerald Ash Borer Treatment

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Unfortunately arrived in Colorado several years ago. My mom has several large ash trees that her tree service wants to treat with pesticide injections to the tune of $250 per tree every two years. Just wondered if any of you midwesterners had any experience and success with this treatment. I'd also like to hear from anyone who might have learned how to do it themselves.

Thanks, Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Emerald Ash Borer Treatment

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 am

Better start planting some new trees. Don't know how many years one can afford to "save a tree" at $125 per year.
The lower peninsula of Michigan used to have a lot of ash trees. Now there is just a lot of standing dead trees waiting for a wind to blow them down. Once in the state, those things spread like wildfire. The authorities are working very hard to try to keep them away from the Upper Peninsula. There is a complete ban on firewood transport to the U.P.
I've heard that there are now some ash trees that are resistant to the Emerald Ash Borer. Cut them down and sell the firewood before the wood prices drop due to the overabundance of ash wood in the market. Then plant some hybrid resistant trees near the original stumps.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 am

Bob, I've talked with an arborist and read some literature about the issue. Doesn't look good. Not sure if a homeowner can do the injections or not, but we have 5 large green ash and 5 medium purple ash in our yard. I know, I know, I keep asking myself "Why did I do this??" Anyway, the chemical treatments that are topical (apply around based of tree) apparently do not protect the tree as advertised. We're looking to remove a couple of green ash this year.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 pm

The insecticides used for the systemic treatments are not available to non-licensed applicators, such as homeowners.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am

Don McCombs wrote:The insecticides used for the systemic treatments are not available to non-licensed applicators, such as homeowners.

That's what the arborist relayed to me as well. Expensive treatments.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 am

I wonder if there is a way to test the tree to see if that particular tree is resistant to the borer.
Would hate to cut down or treat a tree that is already naturally resistant.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 am

All 114 Missouri counties and the city of St. Louis are now under federal and state quarantine to prevent the accidental spread of the borer to states with no reported EAB locations. Source, Univ Mo Extension.

Were 4 ash trees near north fence line on son's house property. Had to take one down last summer, dying. Part of the stump is still standing. Will peel back some of the stump's bark to check for the bore. This is in Osage county, Mo.

Edit: Hoping the quarantines on transported lumber products work. Have lost all of my butternut trees (3 or 4 trees) to imported disease. Thousand canker disease is slowing spreading into Missouri. The disease effects black walnut trees. Over 200 black walnut trees on the acreage, losing them would have a devastating effect on future income from harvesting the trees for lumber.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”