1 1/4 sticks butter
2 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
12 oz. pkg chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 10 x 17 inch jelly roll pan. Beat butter and sugar in bowl until
creamy. add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each egg. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt; blending well. Fold in chips and nuts. Turn in pan, spread evenly. Bake until top is lightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. Do not over bake. Transfer to wire rack, let cool. Cut into bars. Congo bars will freeze well.
Makes approximately 40 bars.

Rich, but oh, so, yummy and very easy.

Re: Candy's Congo Bar Recipe from Barnyard Bash

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:52 am

Any recipe with that much sugar and butter has got to be delicious! Not to mention chocolate

Re: Candy's Congo Bar Recipe from Barnyard Bash

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Candy, thank you for the recipe. I don't know how I missed this post. For those of you who have never tried these you better get hopping and make a batch. I tried one at the Bash and found them to be very compatible to my sweet tooth. I have to admit I did try a little more than one but who's counting. If any of you guys tell my doctor I will never speak to you again! :D

Carl, You need to run to the kitchen right now and whip up a couple batches of these. If you need help eating them I will sacrifice myself and assist you with disposing of them at Cubfest.