This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Roses

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Roses

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:51 am

I am suprised that you haven't been talking about you flower gardens. I know you are proud of them and put as much time and effort as we do our (forbidden subject)

I hope you don't mind me trying to oppen up your form with different subjects :?:

I got six new roses sunday. When I started my rose garden I didn't know anything about them. I layed out a area made a design. Rising sun with rays. Crushed limestone paths rock borders with the roses in the sun and arms of the rays. Knew nothing of the soil they liked. Or the different sizes they grow. Or how very very many different varites and colors there are. Went to the local Low's and home depo and bought some and planted them. Now I only get them from a local rose grower (Great Lakes Roses) that grow them for this area on their own root stock.

So the last two days I have been diging them up and moving them so I have shoter one in front and get larger to the back. Good thing the ones I have moved are just general cheepies as I don't think they will make it I pruned off a third of the stems as I know I lost a lot of roots :!:

The two roses on the bottom my current favrites along with hot coco and fourth of july
left Betty Boop
right Nicole

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Billy:

Looking good. My wife likes yellow tea roses. My favorite is called Jospeh's Coat. This year the roses are not looking very good. We are about 5 inches of rain below normal for the area.

For special events I purchase the wife another rose bush. I have been having very good luck with locally grown roses potted in 8 inch containers. I have purchased bare root roses from cataloges with mixed results. - Usually about 50% die.

Eugene

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks Eugene

I just got two yellow roses. I had mostly red, pink and orange. But I wanted somthing brighter. I got a goldenstern 8' climber and a aboutface that just came out this year its supposed to yellow on the inside of the pedal and a darker yellow on the outside but it hasn't bloomed yet.

In Michigan we have to water every other day. Last year I set up a sprinkler but they didn't like the iron getting on their leaves from my well. So I am going to setup a soaker hose. I got a digital water timer for $35 that runs on two AA batterys.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:50 pm

Looks great, Billy. Clip off the spent blossoms back to just above a 5 leaf cluster and they'll bloom all summer for ya. An annual dose of well rotted horse manure helps. My biggest problem is picking off all the Japanese beetles.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks Carl Will you be a degaff cubfest :?:

$#@! beetles :!: I really like rogosa roses but I get one bloom out of them then the J beetles show up and they don't get oppen before they kill the bloom. The Nicole and Hot Coco don't have much smell and I didn't see one beetle on either one last year. Some roses attract them and some are not bothered much I guess.

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:42 pm

looking good Billy. Not to many flowere up here in perma frost country yet.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 pm

I'll see ya at Degraff in 2 weeks. Don't have any rugosa roses, they look like they have even worse spines than 4th of July. Even tho the bettles love it, my favorite is Queen Elizabeth - she takes a lot of abuse and still looks great.
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:27 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:Looks great, Billy. Clip off the spent blossoms back to just above a 5 leaf cluster and they'll bloom all summer for ya. An annual dose of well rotted horse manure helps.

I have a (somewhat) beautiful rose alongside my house here that is REALLY blooming right now. I would LOVE to keep it blooming all summer... Where do you cut them back and how soon after the blossom starts to dry up do you do it?

I am a novice when it comes to roses...

How far back does one prune them in the fall or spring? I would like to tend them to make them bloom like this every year!!!

Thanks!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:22 pm

I deadhead when the bloom is mostly spent and the pedals drop. If there is a cluster of blooms on a stem, I wait until they are all spent and cut that stem back to about 1 inch above the highest 5 leaf cluster. Y'all up north should mulch (about 8 inches deep) around the bushes for the winter to protect the graft from cold damage and remove mulch towards the end of winter. I prune them back in the spring when new growth is about 1 inch long, only leaving 2 or 3 new sprouts on each cane.

If you're trying to control Japanese beetles, get some of those phermone traps and put them around in your neighbor's yards. They'll think you're a great neighbor but attracts them away from your roses.
- Louis Pasteur

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:44 am

Thanks Bill :D The beauty of the country their goes way beyond flowers :!: Wish I was there :wink:

Mike some roses only bloom once a year. Roses like loose soil a pine mulch is best as it is the right PH for them. The purpose of roses growing is to make seads (the rose hip) If you dead head it as Carl says the rose has to make a new bloom to make another hip. Also once the hip is formed chemical changes in the rose tell it to stop making blooms as it is putting all its energy into forming seads. Water and fertliser are important too. On a 80 degree day my 7' tall climbers will suck up a gallon of water. They make a fertiliser osmocote that you put on in the spring and when the temp outside is right it slowly releases fertiliser all summer. I use a organic fertiliser every 4-5 weeks untill august also stop pruning in august as you want the rose to slow down and get ready to go dormant for winter.

From my notes : Why prune: improves air circulation : Shape and encurage new growth. Some roses bloom best on new growth others like climbers bloom best on 1-2 year old growth also will not generaly flower profusely unless trained (tied) on a horzontal plane. You want to cut off canes that are over 3-4 years old by up to 1/3 of them a year to make way for new growth.

Billy

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:29 am

Whoops forgott to mension always pickup you cuttings do not leave them around the rose bush as they will atract molds and insects harmfull to the rose. Through them in the burn pile or trash. Not in the compost pile. I have had good luck picking up the dead leave in fall and spring with my shop vac.

Billy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”