This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer on the farm.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Deer on the farm.

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Billy:

It is some nice to see pics of the property in the UP. Reminds me of back home a lot. The only difference is we didn't see too many deer where I am from, mostly moose. Since I have moved to New Brunswick, I have become a real fan of WhiteTail Deer. They are gorgeous animals and they taste great on the BBQ as well. I love all game, any way I can get it. You certainly have it good in the UP :big smile:

I think that PETA should stand for People Eating Tasty Animals .. but I am not a fan either of trying to decimate any species. The Lord gave us Dominion but with Dominion comes Stewardship - Responsibility to use, manage and care for all that He has given us. So.... I think that since he gave us these animals to feed our families then we should do so responsibly.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:38 pm

cowboy wrote:. I'd be happy to swap Al some wolves for bucks!

Billy

I forgot to mention, we now have a growing coyote population here, thanks to fox hunters bringing them in to their fox pens where they train their fox dogs. Coyotes escape, start to breed, etc. The good news is they eat deer. Bad news is they're coyotes. So I guess after a while you won't be able to have an outdoor cat, chickens, or other smallish barnyard animals.

I have heard folks in their late 50's and older talk about how there used to be practically no deer here. I hope to see that sort of environment again one day but it'll probably never happen. If I could get blue tongue or chronic wasting disease (deadly deer diseases, I think I have the name right) in a bottle, I would spray it on everything I could find around here!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Super A wrote:[I have heard folks in their late 50's and older talk about how there used to be practically no deer here. I hope to see that sort of environment again one day but it'll probably never happen.Al

Herein lies the problem... Hunters from our neck of the woods were sworn off shooting does by law, up into the 90's. They were fed the "if you kill the does, there wont be ANY deer left" line. I can remember it being a BIG DEAL if someone got caught with a doe....losing their guns, vehicles etc to the game wardens. After generations of people are conditioned in that mindset, its hard to get them to change. The changes in the laws for taking does changed S-L-O-W-L-Y. Now it has swung in the other direction, in that you now have tags that are ANTLERLESS ONLY. The other problem is all ethical hunters wont take meat to waste, and there is nowhere else to take it. My Dad feeds ALOT of needy families every year in our neck of the woods with venison. If there was a program for putting venison out for the needy (or anyone for that matter) it would help alot, but I only know of Hunters for the Hungry, which is all volunteer AFAIK and not able to keep up with a huge intake. I think the NCWRC dropped the ball/underestimated the whitetail comeback in the huge undeveloped and agricultural areas of eastern NC... Now there is NO EASY FIX. However since I live in the piedmont area now, and have limited hunting access... if you have some land that needs hunting... I WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE YOU UP ON THE OPPORTUNITY!!! I also enjoy turkey hunting! :D :D

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm

clodhopper wrote:
Super A wrote:[I have heard folks in their late 50's and older talk about how there used to be practically no deer here. I hope to see that sort of environment again one day but it'll probably never happen.Al

Herein lies the problem... Hunters from our neck of the woods were sworn off shooting does by law, up into the 90's. They were fed the "if you kill the does, there wont be ANY deer left" line. I can remember it being a BIG DEAL if someone got caught with a doe....losing their guns, vehicles etc to the game wardens. After generations of people are conditioned in that mindset, its hard to get them to change. The changes in the laws for taking does changed S-L-O-W-L-Y. Now it has swung in the other direction, in that you now have tags that are ANTLERLESS ONLY. The other problem is all ethical hunters wont take meat to waste, and there is nowhere else to take it. My Dad feeds ALOT of needy families every year in our neck of the woods with venison. If there was a program for putting venison out for the needy (or anyone for that matter) it would help alot, but I only know of Hunters for the Hungry, which is all volunteer AFAIK and not able to keep up with a huge intake. I think the NCWRC dropped the ball/underestimated the whitetail comeback in the huge undeveloped and agricultural areas of eastern NC... Now there is NO EASY FIX. However since I live in the piedmont area now, and have limited hunting access... if you have some land that needs hunting... I WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE YOU UP ON THE OPPORTUNITY!!! I also enjoy turkey hunting! :D :D

You are exactly right. Especially about NCWRC dropping the ball. In my opinion they have dropped the ball on a lot of things.

I don't know who daddy has coming back to hunt next fall, but remind me and I will put you in touch with him!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Nice place you have there, Cowboy. Always enjoy the photos in your posts. Thanks.
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”