This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"old hand" , too confident

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

"old hand" , too confident

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:50 pm

I've never removed a fast hitch , but with all the things i've done ( split many ,completely taken several cubs apart ) i should handle it , no problem . bottle jack on some 4x4's ( first mistake ) . disconnected fast hitch , held it up with my motor lift (second mistake). I could not get the fast hitch out from between the back tires ( big ones ) . i did chock the front axle , so I took the right rear tire off ( wheel weight , third mistake ) . the tractor moved just 1/2" forward , enough to make the bottle jack lean a bit , which made the 4x4 shift forward more , because unseen to me , there was a chunk of the 4x4 missing , I didnt take the time to look at it closely before using it , much less even do it that way . precariously held up by the jack is an understatement :shock: stopped and took a few minutes to think about the mess i got myself into . i SLOWLY let the lift down with the fast hitch with carefully placed supports . then eased the motor lift around and gently looped it around the right final and raised it till safe . whew . removed the bottle jack and promptly put it in the garbage can . No shortcuts , if pressed for time , i will do it later . coppersmythe...........................

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: "old hand" , too confident

Postby Donegal Cub » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm

Someone up there looking after you :worthy: :worthy: However you stayed cool and averted trouble
Bernard
Donegal Cub

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:50 pm

The best way to remove and/or install a Fast Hitch is to dismantle it as you go. Why try to lift/support the whole thing, when you don't need to?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

...or wedge the front axle, jack up the rear end, take the tires-wheels-centers off, and there's all kinds of room.
Did this at CubFest NE a few years ago.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

thanks for the advice guys , i have tried to go through the process in my mind for the next time , your recommendations sound well thought out . i used to sit in my shop , building my next project " in my mind " ( my wife swears i was just daydreaming ) . everything i made was custom , so each job was different . i made very few changes in the direction when it came to actually crafting the "item". this incident was a good lesson learned , and donegal hit the nail on the head . i have had a guardian angel on my shoulder all of my life :D coppersmythe ................................
Donegal Cub wrote:Someone up there looking after you :worthy: :worthy: However you stayed cool and averted trouble
Bernard
Donegal Cub

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby coppersmythe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:21 am

i forgot to mention the "best" part of the story . i had sold the tractor and received payment that morning . i was taking the fasthitch off before delivering his cub . i came close to giving a refund :oops: coppersmythe...........................P.S. do not get in a hurry and take shortcuts . they turn into longcuts , or worse , hospital cuts .

Return to “Safety Forum”