Shop burns as tractor blazes

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.

Shop burns as tractor blazes

Postby Dennis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 pm

An antique tractor being prepared for display at the Bedford County Fair burst into flames late Monday morning, destroying a building and contents and leaving one man slightly injured.
"It just exploded," said Wayne O'Neal, who owns and was working on the H Farmall tractor at Bob's Used Tractors, U.S. 41A North. "The tractor just caught on fire. I was trying to get it started and it backfired."

http://www.t-g.com/story/1989836.html
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday." ~ John Wayne
Dennis
Site Admin

Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @farmallcubcom

Re: Shop burns as tractor blazes

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Dennis! I think there is a lesson to learn here. I had a car back fire and flame up several years ago. Now I either push my tractors out side if I'm not sure what they will do or I take a fire extinguisher off the wall and have it by my side. BOB could be ashes before the firetruck 200' across the road could get out of the firehouse.

As seen from BOB's roof.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Barnyard Bash CubFest May 30th - May 31st, 2014
Click here for info http://www.barnyardbash.com
http://www.Savethecub.com
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety Award

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

When I first started work for the power company, they used to conduct a " Fire School" yearly....You actually had to fight different kinds of fires that you may encounter....Classes lasted for 3/4 days....Of course they petered out as the bean counters took over, but it is absolutely amazing the effects of gasoline and oil and the explosive value of each....Fumes are deadly when ignited....Got a leaky gas line???? Fix it....Battery fumes are right in their also....My uncle worked his whole life running a gas/ service station....Jumped a car with a set of cables....( Ever hear about hooking up to the dead battery first and being away from it when you connect to the "hot battery" ) Well he didn't do that for some reason....Ka :censored: Boom and battery acid got him...Luckily he wasn't left with any permanent scars and his sight was ok....Your absolutely right Dennis And Bill....Sometimes we need reminding of what can happen....Everybody tends to shortcut...Especially when in a hurry...I just did it myself checking for a condition on a radiator...Boiling antifreeze....I knew better to...Or I guess not....Very hot and sticky...And makes your skin come off.... :oops:
In Memory of 58,286
pickerandsinger
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ Danco c3 (Cubby)
1953 Cub w/ IH C-2 MOWER (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/IH C-3 MOWER ("ED")
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH Cub Snow Blade 54A
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety Award

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh yeah I could mention that today I was working on my Ferguson and running the tractor on and off while fixing the PTO lift Arms...With the 16 foot garage door open...And the entrance door open for a cross breeze....I thought....My Carbon Monoxide alarm I just installed a month ago went off...Never would have thought it....It is located a goodly distance away from the exhaust pipe which was 6/8 feet from and pointed toward the 16 foot open door...Should have had a hose on it....
Last edited by pickerandsinger on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of 58,286
pickerandsinger
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ Danco c3 (Cubby)
1953 Cub w/ IH C-2 MOWER (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/IH C-3 MOWER ("ED")
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH Cub Snow Blade 54A
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Stanton » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks for the warning, Dennis. It's sad to read. I know the owners lost a lot of equipment (that may or may not be properly insured) and certainly hundreds of hours of time to redo those three tractors.

Could happen to any of us...
Stanton
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
1949 Farmall Cub, serial #65937
Cub-54 Blade
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub No. 23-A Tractor Disc Harrow
Grosshart Post Hole Digger
Prewitt Conversion Unit
McCormick-Deering No 100 Manure Spreader
Cub-22 mower
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
CCC 782, serial #715729
IH #1 Cart
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Dennis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I had a similar indecent happen to myself and that "oh crap" :shock: moment when I realized that my fire extinguisher was halfway across the barn. Luckily it was only a minor flair up, but it could have been a lot worse. Never again will I work around carburetors and fuel without having some sort of fire extinguisher within reach.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday." ~ John Wayne
Dennis
Site Admin

Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety Award
Twitter ID: @farmallcubcom

Return to Safety Forum