Shop burns as tractor blazes

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 pm

An antique tractor being prepared for display at the Bedford County Fair burst into flames late Monday morning, destroying a building and contents and leaving one man slightly injured.
"It just exploded," said Wayne O'Neal, who owns and was working on the H Farmall tractor at Bob's Used Tractors, U.S. 41A North. "The tractor just caught on fire. I was trying to get it started and it backfired."

http://www.t-g.com/story/1989836.html

Re: Shop burns as tractor blazes

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Dennis! I think there is a lesson to learn here. I had a car back fire and flame up several years ago. Now I either push my tractors out side if I'm not sure what they will do or I take a fire extinguisher off the wall and have it by my side. BOB could be ashes before the firetruck 200' across the road could get out of the firehouse.

As seen from BOB's roof.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

When I first started work for the power company, they used to conduct a " Fire School" yearly....You actually had to fight different kinds of fires that you may encounter....Classes lasted for 3/4 days....Of course they petered out as the bean counters took over, but it is absolutely amazing the effects of gasoline and oil and the explosive value of each....Fumes are deadly when ignited....Got a leaky gas line???? Fix it....Battery fumes are right in their also....My uncle worked his whole life running a gas/ service station....Jumped a car with a set of cables....( Ever hear about hooking up to the dead battery first and being away from it when you connect to the "hot battery" ) Well he didn't do that for some reason....Ka :censored: Boom and battery acid got him...Luckily he wasn't left with any permanent scars and his sight was ok....Your absolutely right Dennis And Bill....Sometimes we need reminding of what can happen....Everybody tends to shortcut...Especially when in a hurry...I just did it myself checking for a condition on a radiator...Boiling antifreeze....I knew better to...Or I guess not....Very hot and sticky...And makes your skin come off.... :oops:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh yeah I could mention that today I was working on my Ferguson and running the tractor on and off while fixing the PTO lift Arms...With the 16 foot garage door open...And the entrance door open for a cross breeze....I thought....My Carbon Monoxide alarm I just installed a month ago went off...Never would have thought it....It is located a goodly distance away from the exhaust pipe which was 6/8 feet from and pointed toward the 16 foot open door...Should have had a hose on it....
Last edited by pickerandsinger on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks for the warning, Dennis. It's sad to read. I know the owners lost a lot of equipment (that may or may not be properly insured) and certainly hundreds of hours of time to redo those three tractors.

Could happen to any of us...

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I had a similar indecent happen to myself and that "oh crap" :shock: moment when I realized that my fire extinguisher was halfway across the barn. Luckily it was only a minor flair up, but it could have been a lot worse. Never again will I work around carburetors and fuel without having some sort of fire extinguisher within reach.