This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Saw Safety

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Saw Safety

Postby Jeff Silvey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:44 am

Well heres what BY was talking about. I was working on cutting some plywood for an instructor that is coming into Indy next month for fire class'es. I work in Logistic's for FDIC. I was almost done I moved the board because it was moving the saw horse's I had it lying on. Well I got 2 fingers with the saw underneath side of the plywood. I really thought I had enough room to put my hand to move board. It was a 20V DeWalt circuler saw.
Had to have 6 stitches in the middle finger just behind the nail & first joint on the bottom side, ring finger had to have 2 stitches on the tip end.
Bottom line if you are going to move lumber you are cutting let saw stop remove from area & move everything with both hands. This all happen on Sunday the 24 of March. Nice BD present to my self.
I know I do preach Safety but this one bit me good this time.
I'm still upset with myself.
SAFETY
Thanks
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Saw Safety

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am

Glad you got to keep the fingers. When you and I talked yesterday morning I thought the worst at first. It goes to show that no matter who you are or what you do, you can become so secure in your work that you can loose track of safety at times.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

BJ Moretz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28661
Tractors Owned: IHCC Chapter 42
1985 Ford 1310
2007 MF 1533
1942 Farmall M
1970 Farmall Cub
1946 Farmall B
1200 Cub Cadet

Postby BJ Moretz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for sharing Jeff. We can never let our guard down around a saw.
BJ Moretz
Member Chapter 42 IHCC
1970 Farmall Cub
1533 MF
1310 Ford
1946 Farmall B
1942 Farmall M
1200 Cub Cadet

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 am

Jeff,

I'm happy that it was no worse and it could have been a lot worse. Heal fast. :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Jeff:

Glad that you are going to heal and not lose the fingers. It doesn't take long for an accident to happen. And when they do, sometimes they can be catastrophic. I am very glad that you didn't lose em. Prayers will be with you as your recover and I hope the recovery is quick and as pain free as possible.

Most carpenters and cabinetmakers I know for some reason are missing digits or parts thereof. I know that my trade is extremely dangerous as we work with high speed machinery constantly and after a while we can sometimes become complacent. It is scary when one thinks about it. Your story brings back memories for me, unpleasant ones to be sure but these memories are what helps keep me safe when I am working in my shop or on any project where I am using machines.

I had a similar experience, not once but twice. After almost 50 years I am lucky, I still have all of my digits. The first accident I found my middle and ring finger of the left hand getting shortened by a jointer. Yup, smarts like the dickens and was simply an accident caused by my own inattention to what I was doing and getting distracted for a second. Both fingers grew back miraculously. The next time I was ripping some solid maple with a 7 tpi rip blade, phone range, lost my concentration for a sec, the maple bucked, the very aggressive rip blade tried to whip the piece back at me but got the ring finger on the left hand again. Cut, then broken in 7 places between the 1st knuckle and the tip. Again, stung like crazy, but it healed. I am reminded of this particular accident daily as the finger is kinda gnarly now :roll:

Em's cousin is a carpenter and has been for well over 50 years, he is in his early 70's now. About 10 years ago he was working at a doctor's house doing what he does. All of a sudden he felt a lot of pain and blood all over the place. He had held the off-cut side too close to the blade and his Makita took off two fingers. He went to the ER but since they couldn't find the fingers they amputated what was left, stitched him up and sent him on his way. The next day IIRC there was a story in the local paper about how they found body parts in the park (behind the doctor's house). Speculation on what could have happened went on for a few days. Finally somebody figured out that since they just found two fingers and they searched the hospital ER records (both hospitals) and found out that they actually were accounted for. Some folks had egg on their face and Bernie had to learn how to continue minus 2 digits.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Glad you kept all of your digits. :roll: I hate to see you change your screen name to Stubby. :lol: Thanks for sharing. It's good to be reminded of what can happen quickly even when you think you've got things "under control".
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:08 am

I too am glad it wasn't more serious! It could have been very easily, heal quickly, Jeff! It's always good to have a healthy fear of power tools!

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 pm

Jeff, glad your OK (or as OK as possible). I cut a 1/4" kerf in my thumb once on a table saw, so all I can add is OUCH!! John

Return to “Safety Forum”