This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loading and unloading a trailer

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Loading and unloading a trailer

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 pm

BDFinch wrote:weld supports to the forward edge of the ramp, that would be vertical when the ramp is lowered, like some of the car haulers have? That way they would act like jack stands under the hinged area.

If the material used in the ramp, and the material you use for the supports, is up to the task, that's an idea.

The deck of the trailer will get closer to the ground when you load up and the springs compress. Make sure you leave enough room between your supports and the ground to account for this, so you can flip the ramps up once you're loaded.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:The deck of the trailer will get closer to the ground when you load up and the springs compress. Make sure you leave enough room between your supports and the ground to account for this, so you can flip the ramps up once you're loaded.

Same thing applies to the struts mounted to the trailer frame. Mighty hard to pull those pins out if the weight of the load is on them.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Oooooo...good point! I went to look at the trailer earlier, to see if I could use either of the above "leg" ideas, and it may not be quite as easy as I hoped. The upper rail I have on mine interferes with welding a slot for a stand. I can probably weld on a bracket of some kind to allow it to clear the rail. We'll see.

But I am glad you made this point of clearance!! I'll have to check out how the ramps that have this extension allow for the compression. For the time being, I guess I will just use some jacks if I need to use the trailer.

As others have said, this was a good post...quite thought provoking!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:The deck of the trailer will get closer to the ground when you load up and the springs compress. Make sure you leave enough room between your supports and the ground to account for this, so you can flip the ramps up once you're loaded.

Same thing applies to the struts mounted to the trailer frame. Mighty hard to pull those pins out if the weight of the load is on them.

If the supports are attached to a hinged ramp, the way out is easy. Just get in the truck and slowly pull forward a couple feet. Tough to do that with the supports in a fixed stake pocket.

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm

My ramps have factory built supports that do not have much clearance when the ramps are lowered. If I can't raise the ramps because of the load, I just pull forward and the ramps roll up until the supports are free. To lower the ramps, I drop them until the supports hit the ground and back up a few inches until the ramps are down.

Ike

Jim beat me to it! :lol:
Last edited by Ike on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Jim
That is why i just use a couple blocks of 6x6 or appr. size to leave a couple inchs of clearance when loading and if it is sitting on the block pull forward and the block will be free.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Oh, this forum does display some sharp minds!!! Jim and Ike...I like that aspect of the supports on the hinged ramp.

Boy, am I a Flip-Flopper, or what?!!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 pm

I went to Agri Supply and got a couple of Bulldog trailer tongue jacks--same type that is on the front of my trailer from the factory--and attached one to each side of my trailer, at the rear. When I load/unload I just swing the jacks down and spin them down to the ground. Works slick for keeping the rear of the trailer from "bobbing down" and messing up my license plate, or worse, picking up the rear wheels of the truck! The beauty of this system is that I can turn them down, along with the tongue jack, firmly and load/unload the trailer even when it isn't hooked up to the truck.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Dusti Snider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24739
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall "M" - Restored
1949 Farmall Cub - Original "Blue Ribbon Reconditioned"
1953 Farmall Super AI
1934 Farmall F-12
1929 Farmall Regular
1956 Ford 640
1972 Ford 4000

Postby Dusti Snider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 am

I've never had my rear jacks bind where I couldn't get them up with a load on it. Maybe my trailer is jjust so stout that it doesn't flex or squat any. When I load the last hole puts them about an inch or two off the ground. Just enough above level to allow for the thickness of a 2x to protect pavement of concrete...

Member IHCC Chapter 37 & 42 - North Carolina

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Dusti Snider wrote:I've never had my rear jacks bind where I couldn't get them up with a load on it.

:Dito:

They easily compensate for uneven ground too.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:03 pm

About the only time that your legs should touch the ground is during the actual loading, when all of the weight is on the rear of trailer. After loading and moving forward enough to get the proper tongue weight on the truck, the rear of trailer should not drag. If it does, you might want to reconsider the weight that you have just loaded on the trailer. :) :) :)
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Return to “Safety Forum”