This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Push mowers.

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Push mowers.

Postby sdurnal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:52 am

Since I was big enough to push a lawnmower, (@ 6 years old I had to push on the cross bar, and begged to do it) I've always used an aluminum or magnesium deck Lawnboy. I considered them to be nearly indestructable if used correctly. Assuming that corrosion on the deck is nearly zero on these things, I ignored the underside except to sharpen the blade. Well, I began to notice a little hole in the topside a couple of years ago and thought there may have been a bolt hole filled with grass and continued operating. (I only use it for trimming) This year, I dumped fuel in it and went about business as normal. There seemed to be another tuft of grass in the nearly the same spot...carry on... Now I am getting peppered by twigs and can see light through the hole...Uh oh. Time to retire that deck.. (I pickup used "real" lawnboys @ yard sales for parts or fix-up, so I have another deck to swap out)
So...Don't assume that an aluminum deck is good for life....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Re: Push mowers.

Postby Harold R » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 am

I'm with you 100% on the Lawn Boys. I mowed neighborhood yards during summers as a kid and that's all I used. This is a late '70's model that I still use for trimming. Starts first pull....every time. It's light and maneuverable. Excellent mower.

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 am

Harold, that's the same model as the one I have with the hole in the deck. Light weight, no bells & whistles. I probably should shoot a photo so you'll know where to begin looking. I have replaced the wheels several times, and now have a set of wider ones from a late model for even less ground pressure. Sometimes I mow when the ground is way too soft to support even a lightweight like these. (In my boots BTW, long story)
Early in the season, I can't even think about using the Cadet, and normally leave the chains on it all season.
Regards,

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 am

I still have an old Lawn Boy that I used to trim with, haven't run it for 3 - 4 years, pretty much trim with Round up now days. Like you fellas, I liked the no frills Lawn Boy for it's light weight and durability. Mine is a 1957 model.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm with you on the Lawn-Boys. 4 of mine are in IH livery, and one is a parts Spirit of '76. About 4 more lawnboys, two which run, BTW I have a NOS "D" series SP deck if any one is interested. Also have an "F" series commercial SP deck used and repaired (welded)

http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-24440
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:33 am

You'll notice the holes in front of the RR wheel. Since the blade rotates in a clockwise direction as viewed from the top, the discharge is toward the operator. This old girl has been "rode hard & put up wet" many times. (The blade is a mulcher, all I had at the time, and this probably contributed to the problem)
Attachments
100_0229[1].jpg

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:40 am

P.S. the short block on this mower was found at a yard sale NIB about 10 years ago. I walked away with it for $10.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 am

Yours has the same faded paint pattern on the shroud as mine. What's up with that? My Dad bought the one I have new and used it problem free for 10 years or better, then one spring he pull it out of his shed and it wouldn't fire. He assumed the coil had went bad so he parked it and used another mower he had gotten from a neighbor fairly cheap. A couple of years ago I was complaining to him about how cheap made push mowers were these days and how I wished I could find an older lawn boy. He reminded me of the one he had parked and said if I could find a coil for it I could have it. I was in the process of taking the coil off when i moved the flywheel and heard a slight "tick" at the spark plug. I had the cap loose on the plug, so i pulled the chord and got good fire. I had already taken the two wires loose from the switch, which means I had un-grounded the coil. I thought the switch was bad, but it too can be disassembled, and I found the copper tangs corroded. Once I cleaned those up and got it back together, it runs as good as new. I did offer to give the mower back, but he said keep it. :lol:

P.S. My rubber primer bulb is about rotted.....do you know of a source for those?

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 am

I hadn't tried to find a primer, but mine's getting there also. I do know that the switch is no longer available. (knob also I believe) I replaced the coil a few years back and it was a bit pricey at that time. As far as the discoloration above the tank...I think it's fuel vapor impregnating the plastic...It's not paint. Actually the mower I will be using for parts has yellow wheels, and a yellow shroud. It's discolored too. (Almost like John Deere colors) I may have a frankenmower when I get done...
Regards,

P.S. When my coil went, It would run great until it warmed up, then started mis-firing and quit. Would start back when cooled off.
I have another Lawn Boy (newer) as a back up, aluminum deck & 6.5 HP, It's still heavier than this one...(harder to push)

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:09 am

Lawn Boy was bought out by Toro and now you get a Toro in Lawn Boy colors. If not already, they'll discontinue the line and they're thinking that I'll buy one??? Wrong..
I wrote them a nasty-gram about a year ago and never got a response... Kinda reminds you of another company that bought a name then cheapened the product, doesn't it?
Sorry to vent..
Regards,

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Harold R wrote:My rubber primer bulb is about rotted.....do you know of a source for those?
Auto parts store.

Prime line part number, NAPA part number, Federated part number: 7-02310 Primer Button. Replaces 607310. For engines 1974 - 1982.

Ignition modules/coils, switches, - ignition parts in general are still available from your auto parts store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:22 pm

sdurnal wrote:Lawn Boy was bought out by Toro and now you get a Toro in Lawn Boy colors. If not already, they'll discontinue the line and they're thinking that I'll buy one??? Wrong..
I wrote them a nasty-gram about a year ago and never got a response... Kinda reminds you of another company that bought a name then cheapened the product, doesn't it?
Sorry to vent..
Regards,

Lawn Boy is gone.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 am

The wife was telling me that the local lawn & garden shop has removed the Lawn Boy sign, so I guess they are gone..sad.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Stan:

I am not so sure about that. Lawn Boy. Oh yeah, was thinking about the Toro buyout and I knew that had happened a longggg time ago .. sometime around the time frame that OMC sold their OEM sled line etc.,. (Another of one of the great OEM Sleds). So I checked the About Lawn Boy link and re-discovered the time line that I sort of remembered. OMC sold Lawn Boy to Toro 23 years ago back in 1989 and has been marketing Lawn Boy's ever since. They still are.

Are they the original ones :?: Nope, about as original as a Cub Cadet from MTD is an IH :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:57 am

Yep, if you can't build a better machine, buy them out and kill (ruin) them. NEVER met a Toro that I liked! First encounter was a 31" Whirlwind with sulky (mankiller) and later 5hp. push mowers with cast iron engines and steel decks, commercial grade, not self propelled. BTW, after making "D" series mowers for IH, L-B made some "F" series mowers for JD.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Safety Forum”