This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

weight distribution on trailer

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
cyriaque
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72555
Tractors Owned: farmall cub

weight distribution on trailer

Postby cyriaque » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Where is the most weight on a Cub? At the rear wheels or forward of the wheels? I see in the trailer loading thread, that some people load it backward and some don't. So, which direction is best for weight distribution on the trailer? I don't want to put too much weight on the tongue and certainly not too far back of the trailer axle.
Charles

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: weight distribution on trailer

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:35 am

The center of balance of a Cub, with no weights and no implements is just a few inches (4 or 5) ahead of the front edge of the platform. Forward/backwards is a queston of how you like to do the loading/unloading and the design of the trailer. With most 16-foot trailers, you can load either way and can place the tractor for good balance. Smaller trailers may require loading one way or the other.

As a general rule, with a simple bumper-pull hitch, you want 10% of the total trailer weight on the hitch. You may be able to check it with a bathroom scale to get a starting point. You can also take the guess work out by going to a CAT scale and get 2 weights for about $10.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am

The back half of the tractor is a bit heavier than the front. I believe the center of weight distribution is just forward of the front edge of the operator's platform by 2 or 3 inches. Wheel weights will affect this as well. When hauling a cub and a golf cart I load the cub frontwards which puts most of the weight over the trailer axles. And then the golf cart on the back because it is lighter.
When hauling 2 cubs it depends on whether they have wheel weights or not. If one has wheel weights and not the other I load them both facing forward with the lighter tractor on back. When both have wheel weights I load either nose to nose or back to back.
The position of the axles on my trailer always gives me a little more tongue weight and it tows well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cyriaque
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72555
Tractors Owned: farmall cub

Postby cyriaque » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:28 pm

Jim,
That's about what I figured. Put the back wheels just slightly behind, almost over, the axle and load it front forward. Thanks all for the input.
Charles

Return to “Safety Forum”