This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Old tools

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Old tools

Postby Landreo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:18 pm

I like old tools often better than the newer versions, however, they may be lacking in some safety features. I have an old power hacksaw that I use quite a bit. It is a lot slower than my bandsaw but for some reason I still tend to favor the hacksaw. The person I bought it from told me the man he bought it from cut off one of his fingers. I thought, well that is never going to happen to me. The saw has a sliding frame that holds the blade and slides back and forth on a thick steel bar. One day, while it was cutting a piece, I decided to put my finger against the moving cast frame. Unfortunately there was a lip on that frame that trapped my finger between the steel bar and the cast blade frame. The steel bar started to gillotine off the tip of my finger. The belt is loose on the motor and I keep it that way so if the saw were to jam, it would slip the belt rather than destroy my 50 cent hacksaw blade. Lucky my finger was enough to stop the saw and I was able to pull my finger out of the jam. My fingernail remained in the saw.

I looked around at some of the power tools I have and noticed that I definitely have removed many of the safety guards or disable some of the safety features. Time to put that blade guard back on the table saw!

Don't put your finger in there!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Re: Old tools

Postby ToddW » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:25 pm

I got a little queezy just reading your story, glad you didn't show us a pic of the accident

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Old tools and tractors too. Safety features tend to annoy operators, but evolved for a number of reasons. You can't even push start a standard tranny car anymore.

I clearly remember 'hooking' one of the dually wheels on a stump with the Gravely L8 when mowing. The major 'safety' on that machine is they moved the kill switch from the magneto to the end of the handle bar.

Always need to pay attention!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I got one just about like that. A little on the slow side but faster than doing it by hand.
Ron in Mid Missouri

Return to “Safety Forum”