This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front Yard Explosive

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Front Yard Explosive

Postby Barnyard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Just in time for mowing season! I got this in an email from a friend. Living in a semi-rural area I am always finding bottles in the yard. Although most of them are empty, I will be a little more cautious should I see a full one.

The email follows;
On 4/18/2010 at approximately 8:00 AM, WCSO Deputy Mansell was dispatched to Bemis Road in York Township for a possible explosive device. Upon arrival it was discovered the object was an unexploded “Works Bomb” in the front yard. After Mansell cleared it away from the residence it detonated itself within 30 seconds. After leaving this residence he located another “Works Bomb” a couple doors down laying again in the front yard. Luckily no one has been hurt in these two situations; however please take this time to educate yourself and family.
The chemical reaction makes a volatile build up of gases and subsequently detonates the bottle with a great amount of force. Once the detonation occurs, the chemical substance that is in the bottle is actually boiling liquid.
The amount of force that is generated at the time of the explosion is enough to severe fingers and also delivers 2nd and 3rd degree chemical burns to the victim. The chemicals can possibly cause blindness and the toxic fumes can be harmful.

When you are out and about in your yards, please be mindful of these devices. If you’re picking up your morning paper, or mowing your grass, or if you let your children play outside; whatever your activities are, please use the following precautions.

1. If you find a soda bottle or any other bottles, examine it carefully before you touch it or get near it. If it shows signs of swelling, or melting in any way or simply just has liquid inside of it, DO NOT TOUCH IT! Call 911.

Both of the bombs listed above appeared to be slightly swollen, with a dark colored liquid, inside of it. This liquid could have easily been mistaken for left over soda.

In closing, please educate your children on the dangers and consequences of making these devices. It has become popular with the youth in the past few years, to do this as a prank, but there have been some changes to the law. Not only could it be deadly to the maker or the victim, but making one these devices is called, "Possession of a Substance with Explosive Capabilities". If it causes no damage, it’s a 15 year Felony. If it causes damage, it’s a 20 year Felony. If it causes physical injury, it’s a 25 year Felony. If it causes serious injury, the penalty can be "Up to life", and if it causes death, it’s Mandatory Life without the possibility of Parole. These are statutory guidelines only.
We have included a video link to show you what happens when the “Works Bomb” detonates.

Lisa King, Sergeant
Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office

While this may be old news to some members it is new to me. Hopefully this is just a passing, but dangerous, fad and we will not ever see one. As Jeff Silvey always says "Be Safe"
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Front Yard Explosive

Postby ricky racer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks for the post.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow :!: :shock:

Every spring we find all kinds of bottles, cans and other flotsam that seems to leave some folk's vehicles instead of staying in their garbage bag. One year in the ditch just past our yard, it was a can with fireworks inside.. thankfully it didn't go off I will have to get Em and the girls to look at this video.. an eye opener.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

They are real. Just a chemical reaction. I did a google and it was frightening. Don't try it.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:33 am

Learn something new everyday thanks for the post :)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:00 am

That's a good heads-up, Bill. Living on a state highway, I find bottles & cans in my front yard all the time, they've always been harmless, but I'll pay closer attention to them now.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:01 am

From what I have read and heard from others since yesterday is that once one of these is made they generally will burst shortly after the chemical is in contact with the tin foil that is added. I have learned this morning that it should only take a minute or so before they go off. With that said, it would almost, and I want to stress “almost”, safe to assume that if a suspicious bottle were to be found in your yard, it may not be anything more than a soda if it has been there for a period of time.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks for the post, Bill. I live on a county dirt road, and all the time have bottles and beer cans in the yard. I, too, will pay closer attention. This is a bit scary! :!:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:29 am

I've set off hundreds of those in my younger years but be reminded that one could put the tin foil at the top of the bottle and it won't mix until the bottle tips over so,...it is possible to have it react weeks later once its activated. Some have been known to make these up and set on someones rear bumper and WILL go off when knocked to the ground. Not a good idea. Be safe. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info, Bill. We are always picking up trash along the road in front of the house. We will be a little more careful from now on. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Return to “Safety Forum”