This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Airlines in the shop

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Re: Airlines in the shop

Postby P B G » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:27 pm

I was in a paint shop yesterday that had a novel idea for moisture trap, they make a zig zag out of metal pipe, down over up over down over up over down etc. About 5 downward legs, each of which had a drain valve. Asked the guy about it. He said that the air temp coming out of the compressor when in constant use was very high, allowing it to hold moisture, so the trap that he had right at the compressor didn't catch much water at all, causing his dryer to not work as well as it should. His solution is the additional zig zags of pipe which in effect lengthens the run before his dryer and he just cracks those drains a few times during the day. He claims his air to be dryer, and it only cost him about 20 bucks worth of stuff. Way cheaper than adding additional dessicant filters or what not, and quite compact.

Probably not an issue for most people in general use where the aircompressor gets a chance to shut off and the air cools in the tank before being used. If you wonder how hot the air is coming out of the compressor hold your hand over the aircompressors head, and note all the cooling fins.

Thought some of you might like this idea, particularly if you use sandblasters or other high CFM tools.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 pm

P B G wrote:I was in a paint shop yesterday that had a novel idea for moisture trap, they make a zig zag out of metal pipe, down over up over down over up over down etc. About 5 downward legs, each of which had a drain valve. ...

That is my plan when I install my air lines. I originally saw this in a book I have and thought it would work well.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

P B G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60525

Postby P B G » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Well he has a positive review so it seems worth it, has to be the most compact, highest flowing moisture trap I've seen.

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Being it that running lines in my shop for the compressoor is on the to do list, this entire post is an excellent read. i doubt i would ever even consider pvc piping though. the wood working link was great!
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Return to “Safety Forum”