This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

This is what happens when a spinning driveshaft hits me in t

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
joshs1ofakindxj
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14850

This is what happens when a spinning driveshaft hits me in t

Postby joshs1ofakindxj » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:43 am

U joint to the eye and 3 stitches later I'm alright. My eye is fine. No scratches. I was EXTREMELY lucky, especially considering I wasn't wearing safety glasses like I usually do and should have been.

Lessons learned...

1. wear safety glasses even for the simple jobs you've done a million times

2. don't rush a job

3. when the vehicle is running to charge the battery and you're working on unbolting the rear driveshaft, don't let your inexperienced helper near the shifter, especially when your brake pedal sensor is disconnected

I blame myself for telling my buddy to go near the shifter for something but luckily I got a glancing blow as I was trying to escape and he caught what he did and put the jeep in neutral.

Thank GOD.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: This is what happens when a spinning driveshaft hits me in t

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 am

Wow first of all let me say you sure are lucky it was not a lot more serious. But I have to say I think you missed the most important number 1 NEVER get under a running vehicle at all. Take a few $$$$ and go invest in a inexpensive battery charger. Be safe.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Rough way to learn a lesson, but I am sure glad it was no worse.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Josh, you are very lucky it didn't turn out worse. Someone could be posting your obituary!! I commend you for posting this as it takes a man to admit his mistakes.
Chalk this one up as lesson learned and don't get under a running vehicle anymore!! Have fun but be safe!! :D

So, did you finish the project you started on the Jeep??

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Josh, Man oh man! So glad your eyeball missed the fight. That could have been disastrous. You're too darn young to wear a patch. :shock:
Be careful friend. :)
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Yikes! You have a good guardian angel. Safety glasses are good, but in that situation you need an air bag too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 pm

Lucky you still have a face and eyes.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

joshs1ofakindxj
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14850

Postby joshs1ofakindxj » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Ya I know I'm a lucky one,

And yes, the Jeep is back together and running fine.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 am

Excellent on the Jeep.

My favorite safety story is when a 4 year old girl wanted to go in my garage I said 'it's dangerous' (tractor parts, tractors, tools, junk, etc, etc) and being a very bright little girl she said 'what's dangerous?' I said everything can be dangerous, so be careful and pay attention to what is around you all the time. She navigated the garage with great care. I was impressed, cause it's hard to get around my garage. But she took the point well and hopefully it will come in handy for her later on.

It gets much harder when other people are involved and you are trying to get it done. But I bet you will look at every project a little differently from now on and the good thing is you can do it with two eyes.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Josh:

Image to what Raymond said :!:

Screwstick wrote:Josh, you are very lucky it didn't turn out worse. Someone could be posting your obituary!! I commend you for posting this as it takes a man to admit his mistakes.

And good advice you give as well, especially since it was learned the hard way :!: Substitute tractor for vehicle and it applies to all of us :idea: :arrow: :!:

joshs1ofakindxj wrote:1. wear safety glasses even for the simple jobs you've done a million times

2. don't rush a job

3. when the vehicle is running to charge the battery and you're working on unbolting the rear driveshaft, don't let your inexperienced helper near the shifter, especially when your brake pedal sensor is disconnected.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:52 pm

You can get some unexpected surprises at times. My 2 1/2 year old daughter went outside with me to work on my old Citation. Since I was close to the street, I put her inside to play while I fixed muffler bracket. Keys were in my pocket and parking brake set. Hatch and windows were open so she could see me if she wanted. As I lay on the ground under the rear of the car (still on wheels, not jacks), I hear this little voice say it works, it works!!! I think, that's cute, but my next thought is I better see what works. This was an old Contel fleet car I had bought, and still had the fire extinguisher mounted in it. She had partly unscrewed the gauge and could hear it hissing. Live and learn.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:31 am

Holy Cow you are one realy lucky dude. My cusin lost a big toe on a sickel moer and my budys dad screwed up his ar on a corn choper. How long did you wait to relise you need to go to the hospital?
Thanks for posting with pics. It makes us all a little more causious around our macines. Kind of helps drive it home. Its not the machines that are dangrous its us, the operators.
Pete from Virginia Beach

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 am

This accident just happened this week and it fits in with how lucky you were not that you don't already know. I am sure baseball fans will recognize who this guy was.http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9462 ... t?MSNHPHMA
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Return to “Safety Forum”