This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

4 YR old dies in tractor accident

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

4 YR old dies in tractor accident

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:12 am

A 4-year-old boy died this evening when he fell off a tractor and was run over by a brush hog in a pasture west of Chickasha, Oklahoma, Grady County sheriff's Sgt. David Jacobs said.
The boy's identity was not released.
About 7 p.m., the boy was riding on the fender of a tractor driven by a family friend when the tractor hit a bump, Jacobs said. The tractor was pulling the mowing implement that ran over the boy.

The boy died at the scene.

Jacobs said he did not know who owns the land, but said the pasture was near County Road 1420 and Lake Burtchi Road west of Chickasha.
As with any accidental death, the sheriff's office will report its findings to the district attorney, who will determine if anyone is at fault in the accident, Jacobs said. The identity of the driver was not released.

Daily Oklahoman website link
By Michael Kimball, mkimball@opubco.com
Published: March 3, 2009
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Re: 4 YR old dies in tractor accident

Postby Chris Todd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 am

So sorry for their loss. Terrible for all involved.....But a 4 yr. old, alone on a fender, while brush hoging? Such a bad recipe. Again, sad for them.
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:02 am

That is terrible to hear. Not the first time I have heard of it happening though. It happened to a member of one of the tractor forums I used to frequent several years ago.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 am

It is both sad and senseless! Anyone should know better than to operate any implement - especially a mower of any type with a 4 year-old on board! Having them riding a fender is also a recipe for disaster. This could have and should have been prevented..
I don't mean to sound insensitive to the loss of a child because that is a tragedy.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 am

I agree BD. There are certain things you just don't do. I don't think you sounded insensitive at all. We all push the limits once in a while, but to let a child ride in that position is just plain negligent.

Return to “Safety Forum”