This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

grain bin death... and near death

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
sgtbull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62854
Tractors Owned: '36 JD B,
'40 and '46 Farmall H,
'50 Ford 8n '55 Farmall Cub,
'55 JD 70 allfuel,
lots of other toys
Circle of Safety: Y

grain bin death... and near death

Postby sgtbull » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 pm

I know this has NOTHING to do with cubs, but everything to do with taking things for granted....

I read a posting on a man that died from silage collapsing on him in a bin on YT's forum. Reminded me of an incident that happened about 4 miles n. of my house in a little town of St. Peter Illinois, many years ago when I was a kid. Read this, and I almost guarantee you'll have a bit of a queasy feeling in your stomach if you know anything about grain handling:

It was late fall after a very wet harvest season. I was with my dad at the elevator, waiting our turn in line in our old
'59 Chevy dump truck, loaded with corn. Back then, grain handling was slow, and you could wait in a line for what seemed like a LONG time, especially if you were 8 yrs old. While waiting, we had gotten out of the truck and dad was talking to the elevator operator who was standing outside the scale house. A local repairman, who was about the size of a pencil, came up and spoke to the owner. I gathered from the conversation that one of the spreaders in the top of a bin wasn't working, and the owner told the guy which one it was and to go fix it.
The man drove over to the bins and got out with his tool box, and disappeared behind the dump shed. We had pulled up a few more spaces and were about to weigh, when the repairman came back to the scale house and told the owner, the job was done. The owner was surprise it was done so quickly, and asked how it was fixed so fast. The repairman said it was just a bad ground, and he had tightened it up and all was well.
Now it gets interesting....
The owner says, "how did you get to the spreader so fast? I never saw you climbing around up there."
The repairman says, "it wasn't a problem, I just walked across the grain and reached up and fixed it."
The owner says, "you must have been in the wrong bin... there is NO grain in the one w/ the bad spreader"
(anyone seeing where this is going?)
The owner takes the repairman over to the bin w/ the bad spreader, opens the door, and sure enough, no grain......except for the crusted layer stuck about 65' up in the air across the entire bin... that the repairman, carrying his toolbox, walked across..........
Anyone feeling sick? That was before the lottery was around, but it wouldn't matter... he'd used up ALL of his luck for that year I suspect.
I've never met a tractor I didn't like....but I have found some that were greatly annoying....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Re: grain bin death... and near death

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:00 am

Wow, glad I didn't read that before bed, would have been one of those sleepless nights.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

pharmerphil3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06468
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub
1961 Cub
1963 Cub
1964 Cub Cadet 70
1969 Cub Cadet 125
100 Spreader
144 Cultivator
3 Field Cultivator
22 Sickle Mower
193 Plow
54-Plow
59 Wood's Mower
2030 John Deere

Postby pharmerphil3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:40 am

Definitely unnerving, a sharp reminder of how one’s over confident, lackadaisical behavior can be the cause of his own demise, or worst yet, someone else! :?
Thanks for the article Sgtbull.

Phil

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 am

It's a good darn thing that he was about the size of a pencil. No matter what his size, that was remarkable it didn't cave.

Jerry
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

crowman2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby crowman2 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 am

Wow! God must have been watching over that guy!

Marc

Gary Boutwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70401
Tractors Owned: 3 barns full of Cubs and implements in various stages of disrepair

Postby Gary Boutwell » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 am

When its not your turn, its not your turn, BUT, when it is!!!!
Louisiana Cub Fest, March 5 & 6, 2010
http://ihc31.com/cubfest
Gary Boutwell
Hammond, LA

3 barns full of Cubs of various condition

knucklebuster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71968

Postby knucklebuster » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Gary Boutwell wrote:When its not your turn, its not your turn, BUT, when it is!!!!

so true,
BILL

brazos
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77422
Tractors Owned: NH 45TC D
53 Cub Farmall
49 Cub Farmall
Model 54 front blade
2 ea belly mount mowers
center mount disc plow

Postby brazos » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 am

It reminds me of an incident that happened in Carrollton,Mo in 1961 or 62. A friend was working for a grain storage company and he was suffocated when helping to empty a large storage facility, as he was walking on the top of the corn ,the auger started emptying the bin and he was pulled under . It was an old oil storage tank that held many thousands of bushels.

Brazos

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Postby JGtools » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Payco seeds headquarters was here in my town of DASSEL, MN. AS a young teen, my friends and i would sneak inside the corn storage bins, One was half full, we found out real quick that you can sink. i think of the dangers back then that we put ourselves into , and i get a light stomache. JimG.

Return to “Safety Forum”