This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle Mower Safety

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Sickle Mower Safety

Postby Dan England » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm

There have been lots of posts on sickle mowers recently. If your use of a sickle mower is a new experience, pay attention to the following posts.

Dan England wrote:Ronny: The sickle mower is a very dangerous implement if one doesn't practice proper safety precautions. Before you handle the mower do a search for posts on "sickle mower safety". It is very important that you do this. Dan

Barnyard wrote:Ronny, Ditto to what Dan says. If you move that mower keep your hands away from those knives. When moved the knives can move also. Fingers tend to disappear before you even know it.

The Cub 22 unit is an excellent implement for mowing pond banks, along ditches and under the canopy of trees. IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS IMPLEMENT IF NOT USED PROPERLY. Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle Mower Safety

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm

That's an excellent point Dan. Many older implements would make OSHA inspectors tremble today. You should not operate any old implement without understanding the safety issues. Especiall important with sickle bar mowers is not operating them when children and pets are present.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Speaking of fingers, children and unsuspecting adults - fashion a guard or cage to keep curious hands out of the knives when the mower is not in operation. Something simple, like two planks bolted to cover both sides of the cutting edge or a stiff wire mesh with openings too small for fingers to penetrate or even a length of PVC pipe with a slot along the length. Anything to stop fingers from getting lopped off.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:14 pm

A length of 4 square per inch hardware cloth makes a dandy sickle bar shield too. And it's relatively inexpensive.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Do I remember Barnyard having a submission to the Cub BOK on Sickle Mower Safety?
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

ajhaig
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05445

Postby ajhaig » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm glad to read this, I've been thinking about getting a sickle bar mower, but with two young children... I think I'll replace the blades on my Motts flail mower instead.

AJ
1958 International Cub Low Boy with Fast Hitch
629 McCormick Utility Wagon
Mott Flail Mower

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 pm

I remember someone at the Cub Tug getting molested by a sickle mower right before dragging the sled down the track. The pointed guards can inflict as painful an injury as those cutting edges.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Yes, Roy, Barnyard will have an article ready soon. Safety is always an important topic but more so on this type mower than on most Cub implements. Dan

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:I remember someone at the Cub Tug getting molested by a sickle mower right before dragging the sled down the track. The pointed guards can inflict as painful an injury as those cutting edges.

Gee, I wonder how many Cubs had sickle mowers on at the Tug. The back side of the blade hurts too. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Phew when I read the subject I was afraid to open the thread.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 pm

Any mower can be very dangerous. I have cut the top off of granite with my C-2. :oops:

When a 4 year old girl was venturing into my garage I said it's dangerous. She said 'what is dangerous?' and I said everything may be dangerous so try and be aware of your surroundings.... she managed to navigate the mess with great dexterity. Hopefully I taught her something that will keep her safer. Any other youngster I would just say 'don't go in there'.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Postby JGtools » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 am

I Worked part time as a emt-I / Ambulance for about 8 years. The calls we did not like were those to farm accidents. We always new that farm accidents are not good. I have seen with my own eyes what a PTO shaft can do. Ill never forget one call to a farm, the young child was riding on the fender of Dads tractor with dad driving..child fell off tractor and dad ran child over,child died few days later. on another call to a farm accident, a young man was filling tractor gas tank, while tractor was running and hot, gas ignited, and young man was burned 2nd and 3rd degree about 40% of his body , mostly to the hands/face/neck/ chest. I hope and pray that everyone who operates equipment puts safety # 1 . Thanks for posting this safety message. Jim G.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:44 am

Thank you, Jim. We need to always practice good safety procedures and also remind others from time to time of the importance of being safety conscious. Your post contains a clear message of what can happen when we fail to use care. Jeff Silvey does a great job in this area also. Dan

Return to “Safety Forum”