This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Heating with a torch

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Heating with a torch

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 pm

This was posted on YTMAG. I thought it good to pass on.

Today at work a young man was using a torch to heat up a pin on a bulldozer. The pin was actually the hinge pin for the loader. He was trying to get it out to take the boom/loader arms off of the dozer.
As he heated the pin he didn't realize there was a grease fitting facing him. Well he kept heating it and as it smoked and built pressure internally from the grease boiling and the fitting getting read hot, it finally blew out the little ball from the grease fitting like a bullet. Luckily he wasn't in front of it. It flew 30 feet then stuck in the wall of the shop. The grease fitting turned into a 6 ft flame thrower until it ran out of grease to shoot.
This could of been fatal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Heating with a torch

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Good artical John. I hope the arm was in the down postion. I'm glad he's OK.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Re: Heating with a torch

Postby Chris Todd » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:09 am

VERY GOOD POST!..I've never heard of such a thing and would/have done similar things in my past.No more!. Thanks John
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

Return to “Safety Forum”