This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer loading

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Trailer loading

Postby DanR » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:17 am

Last week there was a picture of a Cub howling at the moon. A few rules, Make sure the engine is up to operating temp, always have the trailer pointed down hill, check that the ramp spacing is compatible with the tire tread, back the tractor onto the trailer if at all possible, install wheelie bars on the Cub, don't let the excitement of going to a Cub Fest out weigh your better judgment, and never forget that your Cub weighs more than you do. :wink:
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Re: Trailer loading

Postby Pony Master » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:25 pm

I am just very thankful that no one was hurt. That could have been very bad.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm

we're just glad you were not hurt, thr cub is repairable easier than you would be.

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:17 pm

this reminded me of a very unfortunate situation i experienced a few years back. i was loading my cub 108 onto the back of a pick up with ramps. yup. as i was driving up as i reached the top with the back tires just about on the truck,my tire chains caught the ramp and kicked it right out. i luckily wasn't physically hurt as bad as i was psychologically. the tractor stood straight up in the air and i tried to do the back stroke across the driveway. i learned that needed lesson that,seat time will be respected and i wouldn't make any dumb :censored: moves like that again. :oops: :oops: :oops:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Good advice easily forgotten until it's too late!

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:24 am

daddydip wrote:this reminded me of a very unfortunate situation i experienced a few years back. i was loading my cub 108 onto the back of a pick up with ramps. yup. as i was driving up as i reached the top with the back tires just about on the truck,my tire chains caught the ramp and kicked it right out. i luckily wasn't physically hurt as bad as i was psychologically. the tractor stood straight up in the air and i tried to do the back stroke across the driveway. i learned that needed lesson that,seat time will be respected and i wouldn't make any dumb :censored: moves like that again. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Holy molly Batman....that image does not sit pretty in my mind.
Robert

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:51 pm

it must have been 1972 or 73, (i was 17 or 18) i was working in the family business, a Simplicity Dealership. yea, i know not yellow! we had a 1972 international pickup 1210 i think, with a custom diamond plate body designed as low to the ground and as wide as possible. with all that attention to detail, i dont know why the planks we were using to load tractors were simply 2X8's with a 2" lip to catch the tailgate, which customarily was tilted down in a dovetail configuration.
Well, i was backing a nearly brand new customers tractor (gear drive) off the truck at the shop, but i hesitated slightly right with the back tires at the top of the planks. when i released the clutch to get going again, the truck lurched forward (4 speed manual), but the planks did not!!!!! Both ramps fell to the ground, and the tractor, still moving backward, went off the truck landing me on my back with the tractor pointing straight up. it then continued to roll over on top of me. i pushed it off to one side with my feet and was not hurt beyond a couple of bruises.
the tractor suffered a bent steering wheel and scratched seat, both of which we replaced for the customer, of course.
the planks and the tailgate were immediately drilled for pins to prevent that from happening again.

my one and only tractor accident.

i back my tractors on to the trailer, always.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:42 pm

DanR wrote:..................... always have the trailer pointed down hill, ...................................

Just thought I'd throw in an additional comment here. Be careful when the "load" starts onto the trailer. The rear of the trailer can squat pivoting on the axle(s) raising the hitch which raises (lightens) the rear of the truck. Once the rear of the truck gets lighter being in park, or gear, or the parking brake on really doesn't help. Being pointed downhill makes it easier to get the truck and trailer moving while the load is half on with no control over when everything will come to a stop. When this happens you are usually just along for the ride unless you can get the load quickly onto or quickly off of the trailer. Best course of action is to put blocks under the back corners of the trailer to keep it from squatting BEFORE you try to load. This is the reason a lot of trailer ramps have the extra triagular shape that hangs down when they are flipped into place.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:15 pm

We call that "trailer surfing"!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm

never had a problem with a cub, but the first time I loaded EJ after adding the 3rd set of wheel weights I got a brief example of that, except rear wheels of truck were moving sideways.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Safety Forum”