This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chimney's cleaning & Safety

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Chimney's cleaning & Safety

Postby Jeff Silvey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 am

Thought I would bring this back to the top sense its getting that time of the year.
Be SAFE.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for the reminder, it is that time of year, and I had not thought about it yet. As I get older I have gotten smarter (or maybe lazier). My chimney goes up the outside of my house, and stands about 5 feet above the roof. It has a clean out at ground level and another about 4 feet up that allows me to use a flexible rod on the brush and clean it from ground level. No getting on the roof for this old geezer. Needless to say, it gets cleaned more frequently set up that way.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Ill throw a little firefighter knowledge in here. If you request it, we will usually come out and inspect it for free or a small donation. We have a rod with chains on it that we run down the chimney and break up all the creosote. First step, close the damper and limit oxygen to the fire. Don't open the front of the stove. Call 911 immediately , we carry some small bags of what we call chimney bombs ( its a mix of a lot of stuff but mostly baking soda and a little purple k mixed in). We either drop it in from the top down or throw it in the open stove or fireplace and let the convection carry it up. But always call the fire department!!!!!! It may have overheated metal , or broken loose mortar and let fire extend into the structure itself. We carry thermal imagers and can look for fire extension without opening up walls. The extended fire can smolder for a long time then end up in you losing your home when you aren't expecting it. In fact, in a lot of states is is actually a crime to not call the fire department if you have a fire in the house. Because even if you put out visible flames, there still may be fire hiding in the walls. Most balloon frame home we have had burn, started from a small kitchen fire that the homeowner put out, but the hidden flames went up inside the wall and ignited a large fire in the attic. Please call us, we wont get mad. We don't ever like seeing someone lose their home and possesions.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 am

well it is getting colder. Everyone loves a good fire on a cold night. Just remember Safety first. Clean the chimneys.
In my line of work

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 am

Do the creosote reducing/eliminating chemicals, added to the stove fire, from the hardware stores work and to what extent?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:57 am

BTTT.
Its getting that time of the year.

I know this is an older post but it might help folks from tragic.
Stay Safe.
In my line of work

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Thanks. This information is fresh again. First clean out the bird nest and stuff.