This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

For all you woodworkers out there...

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

For all you woodworkers out there...

Postby Hengy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:25 pm

This is a GREAT tool... Take a look at both videos... I am sure that it is expensive, but so are fingers accidents!

http://www.sawstop.com/media/WMV/Stephen.htm

http://www.sawstop.com/media/WMV/Hot_Dog_Demo.htm

Lots more information here: http://www.sawstop.com

For you big time woodworkers, this is worth its weight in GOLD!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: For all you woodworkers out there...

Postby grumpy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 pm

I actually saw a demo of that last year. Tried to get the guy to use his finger but he wouldnt do it. He then wet his finger and the hot dog and it didn't cut the dog as deep. AMAZING. :{_}: Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:35 am

That is a fantastic system. I wish there were a way to use it on my hand held grinder.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Well since I have unfortunately been the victim of a table saw accident (reason why I can no longer successfully play guitar anymore), I think this is a good idea. I have been following this story for the last couple of years since the system first made it's appearance. Many of the top home woodtrade publications such as Fine Woodworking, Shop, Wood, American Woodworker and other's have all either reviewed or viewed the system.

It is a great invention and if it saves one person for suffering a missing digit or part of a digit or multiples, then that is great. It does not however replace common sense, good safety procedures or adequate attention to the job at hand.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Rudi wrote:It does not however replace common sense, good safety procedures or adequate attention to the job at hand.

Once again I'll express my contrarian view. Devices that are intended to make idiots safer only serve to increase the number of idiots. I view most extra and unnecessary devices as a distraction that may be even more dangerous. I've been through a lot of saws in the last half century and still have enough fingers to count properly. Even worse than the table saw guards are the supposed safety guards on electric hand saws. I've been noted for removing them before even taking them out of the store. I came very close to serious injury because of a failed guard I was depending on.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:46 pm

I will qualify what I posted. I should have worded it better, and not worried about liabiltiy or being PC. Yes it is a great invention, and one that will definitely save a few digits, for some people. I still think it is a great idea. For those who believe that they need it. So if you think you need it.. as we say in the Canada.. fill yer boots eh :!:

Now.. for the rest of the story :big smile:

Would I buy one :?: Not on your life I wouldn't.. or any other circumstances either. Not one piece of equiment in my shop has any extraneous safety gear except for my jointer. Oh, btw, my jointer is the tool that took off the ends of my left hand ring and middle finger. Thankfully they grew back.. but half of the first digit of each finger was jointed clear away. That is the only tool that has a blade guard. Oh, and that jointer became mine after the accident. I figure it bit me once, it never will again. My table saw took care of the rest of that ring finger.. which is why I cannot play anymore. Mostly because there is a piece of broken bone that gets in the way when I finger the strings. Ifn I was a southpaw, it might not matter, but I am right dominant.

I have had like George too many close calls with so-called safety equipment. As George said, many of these so-called safety devices are accidents waiting to happen. Many of them whilst good in idea and design, in practice provide a sense of complacency in an arena where complacency will lead to serious accident.

As I have said before... and I know anyone over 50 will understand what I am saying, we grew up, learned our crafts and skillsets long before OSHA etc, decided that we were too daft and needed help to work safe. I only know of one or two professional woodworkers with 40 or more years in the profession that are actually missing digits, limbs or other extraneous parts of their bodies.

For the part time woodworker these devices may provide a margin of safety. They may also save a finger or two. However, and unfortunately they will instill complacency and that will end up in accidents and any ER can attest to that.

I will repeat again... no safety device can adequately replace common sense, good safety procedures or adequate attention to the job at hand. This applies to any craft, any situation, any shop.

One last comment. Yes I have had accidents in the shop. Chisels, knives, bits, oh you name it, I probably did it.. but those things were the result of doing something stupid, something I knew better and because I was not paying attention or I was in a hurry. Guards would not have helped one little bit.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:33 pm

The importance of guards is arguable. But take it from a one-eyed hearing impaired wodoworker - always wear safety glasses and hearing protection.
Also protect your lungs!
Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

howard950
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01438

Postby howard950 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:12 pm

The term "healthy respect" seems to apply here. Never been sliced, diced or spliced. But I'm always aware that luck can change in a split second.
1956 & 1948 Farmall Cubs, 144 cultivators, Wagner loader, 23a harrow, 193 moldboard plow, cordwood saw

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

that is a neat invention, very cool.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:45 pm

That is cool...I was a victim of working long hours restoring my old Victorian farmhouse and stung my finger ripping some trim. I wasn't too bad just a small chunk. Healed up okay. They said it feels like a bee sting when it happens and it does. Very interesting post. Thanks WCG.

Return to “Safety Forum”