This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Safety Glasses

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Safety Glasses

Postby Dennis » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:19 pm

OK, I'll do the first cold post in this forum, and hopefully get this rolling :)

Keep several pairs of safety glasses/goggles around your shop. Often they get misplaced and rather than take the time to look for them, it is easy to just say to yourself, "I'll just be careful this one time."

If you have several pair place strategically around the shop, there is likely to be a pair within easy reach when you need them -- It's a lot cheaper to buy a few extra pairs of safety glasses, than to lose an eye.

Dennis
Keep it safe!

PS: More tips on eye safety? Add them here or make a new topic!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Safety Glasses

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:10 pm

I wear glasses - safety glasses all the time. For years I have ordered and obtained prescription lenses and frames meeting the Z87-2 (safety glasses) ANSI standard.

The lenses and frames (for me) have been less expensive than the same frame and lense not meeting the safety standard. By a considerable amount. My current lenses and frames are at least 3 years old. I need new lenses but the frames are still in excellent condition.

I have the feeling that the sales people do not want to sell safety glasses. You need a good excuse to obtain them. I tell the sales people that I'm involved in the maintenance field and that I am required to either have the prescription safety glasses or wear glasses and safety glasses.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks Dennis for the reminder. I learned the hard way. I wear glasses and have since I was ten. One day I was using a brush on my hand grinder to remove rust. Some of the rust got in my eye and embedded in the eye ball. It was so deep that the doctor had to grind part of my eye ball off, that sure makes me remember to use safety glasses. Sure don't want to loose my eye sight.
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 pm

seems like it would be a no brainer but oh too often i'll just be careful or its only a tiny bit of weld to grind then whammo
the last piece of metal cost i think $60.00 at the eye doctor to be removed could of bought a whole bunch of pairs
even though i did soon there after
have to think safety otherwise if ya get hurt that's less cub time
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:48 am

Also, remember when wearing a face shield, wear safety glasses too. Face shields are not designed for the same impact resistance as glasses.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Carm wrote:Also, remember when wearing a face shield, wear safety glasses too. Face shields are not designed for the same impact resistance as glasses.

Wow, thanks Carm. That is something I did not realize with face shields. I always figured they were as good or better than safety glasses :shock:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Carm wrote:Also, remember when wearing a face shield, wear safety glasses too. Face shields are not designed for the same impact resistance as glasses.

This applies to both the garden (reinforced mesh style) and the clear polycarbonate shields used with lathe (wood or metal) or grinder work. Always wear proper eye protection under the shields. The reinforced mesh style will protect from projectiles but will not protect your eyes from smaller particles.

No, don't ask why I know that.. :oops: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Fri May 02, 2008 7:22 pm

Face shields are a must during any grinding operation.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 am

From someone who has had to have a piece of metal drilled out of their eye... wear safety glasses.

I often forget about the face shield when using a wire wheels on my grinder... that is until I have one of those steel wires comes loose and gets stuck in my face.

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1952 F Cub

Postby markwayne » Wed May 07, 2008 8:57 am

recently I was using a cup brush on a angle grinder. It threw a wire out and it went through my clothes and stuck in my belly, ouch! :shock:
I was reminded to put on glasses when doing any thing that can throw bits out.
grandpops 52 Fcub #151651, 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 174 runner planter, Type C Duplex hopper, 53 Fertilizer Unit, front/mid mount blade, IH but non Cub 4 foot disc, non IH peg tooth harrow, and one of the infamous and much maligned belt pulleys.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun May 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks fellas.

Eugene, are the prescription lenses and frames meeting the Z87-2 (safety glasses) ANSI standard heavier?
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 11, 2008 8:46 pm

Are the prescription lenses and frames meeting the Z87-2 (safety glasses) ANSI standard heavier?
No heavier than the standard frames. I get plastic lenses because they are lighter than glass lenses. The glass lenses are noticably heavier, uncomfortably heavier.

The frames looks just like many normal frames. Nothing unusual. The frames are not the thin wirey type, just standard. They do come with plastic snap on wings/side shields. There is a small "8" marked in the upper outside corner - out of vision on the lenses to indicate that they meet the standard. The frames are marked on the inside indicating the standard.

Big difference I notice is the price. Considerably cheaper.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon May 12, 2008 9:04 am

Safety glasses are a must. I didn't know a piece of metal in your eye was such a big deal. According to my eye doctor, if it rusts, it can stain your cornea. this staining cannot be reversed.
Best,
Mike
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Return to “Safety Forum”