This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Propane tank danger

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
69ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.
1969 F-100 fully restored, 1969 F 100 original paint, 1973 F 100, 50 K original miles all original, 1978 F250 repainted, 1978 Bronco, 1967 Mustang, 1973 Mach ! Mustang.
Several single cylinder Honda motorcycles from the early 70's. Adding more junk all the time.

Propane tank danger

Postby 69ranger » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:24 pm

So I am sure that like me many of our members here have a bulk Propane tank in their yard. We all know the dangers of compressed gas or air, but just a reminder to never take it for granted that these tanks will do what they are supposed to do.
Two weeks ago last Sunday after Church, was walking across the yard, and decided to look at the pressure gauge on my tank.
It was pretty hot, and the COOP had filled the tank the week before.
Just as I walked up to it, the pop off opened, venting high pressure gas, and the rubber cap hit me in the face. I am not sure if the cap hit me above the eye, or in the glasses, but the result knocked me down and left me with very little sight in my left eye, and a bleeding cut on my eye lid.
The local ER transferred me to the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City KS.
After some tests, they scheduled me for surgery to repair a cut in the corner of my eye and a torn tear duct.
The vision in my left eye is getting better, but is still blurry. I have a tube in my eye socket running from my tear duct in to my nose, that stays for 6 months.
The doctors think that my left eye will eventually get back to normal, and I hope that is the case.

I have seen kids play on or around them, and my wife and I walk by this thing many times a week. Be careful out there!

Brad