This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Fire Here

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

No Fire Here

Postby Barnyard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am

About thirty years ago my stepdads Barn burned to the ground. The fire department could not take their equipment across the bridge and since no one lived in the run down house for almost fifteen years they thought the barn was empty. Wrong, it had two Ferguson tractors, a hay rake, two sickle mowers , various other items and one side full of hay. This barn was a bit bigger than mine. Anyone who has seen my barn can figure that out.

For several days the fire investigator asked Ed a ton of questions about the electric (there was none), Could the tract have been hot. No, it sat outside several hours before being put away and that had been a week before the fire. The wanted to know where he was when the fire started. He and mom had spent the entire day with Rosie and me. There were a ton of questions and they seemed to be non stop every time the investigator came around. Finally Ed told the guy that he felt the investigator didn't seem to care that he had lost it all and never had a dime of insurance on any of it. The investigator looked surprised and said "You mean to tell me this is a total loss and you won't get anything out of it? Ed said Yep. That is when all the questions stopped. When Ed told me that I told Ed, the investigator was doing his job because he felt it was arson and was thinking you were trying to collect insurance.

Anyway, too make a long story short (too late for that :lol: ) My uncle had told me one time that birds will pick up just about anything when building their nest, including cigarette butts. He said if one had just been discarded and still lit a bird could stuff it in their nest of dry grass. In an old barn that could be disastrous. We don't know if that is what happened.

Yesterday I was taking down old sliding door rails from my old shop. Over the years birds had gotten in to build nests. After the rails were down I started removing the old nests and found this.

IMG_3892.JPG
IMG_3893.JPG

It looks like it was out before it became a part of the nest, or my old shop and a few cubs would be gone by now.

Keep this in mind if you ever see a bird build in a building.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Re: No Fire Here

Postby Don B. » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:41 am

Don't know what you're talking about, Bill.
pigeon.jpg
pigeon.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 am

Don B. wrote:Don't know what you're talking about, Bill.
pigeon.jpg

:weaping:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:17 pm

When I saw your post it reminded me of finding bird nests and mouse nests on top of the head and manifolds several times after a tractor had been left sitting for several months. One I found when the smoke started rolling from under the hood when the nest warmed up! No damage done, but I check closer now. John