This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Towing Safety - Ouch

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Towing Safety - Ouch

Postby Urbish » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Whenever I strap something down to my trailer, I consider how that thing might react if I were to rear-end someone. Don't let this happen to you (from the Twisted Truckers facebook page):
Attachments
Massey Crash.jpg
Jim

Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Towing Safety - Ouch

Postby Barnyard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 pm

My guess is that wasn't even tied down.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm

There appears to be one strap load binder on the trailer deck.

Guessing the tractor weighs some where between 2 1/2 to 3 tons.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Eugene wrote:There appears to be one strap load binder on the trailer deck.

Guessing the tractor weighs some where between 2 1/2 to 3 tons.

Appears to be a Massey Harris Pacemaker. According to tractordata.com, 3700#
Jim

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Somebody's comment on Twisted Trucker:
"Why even have a trailer it clearly fit in the bed".

The one strap on the trailer deck is positioned so neatly across the deck, I have to wonder if it had even been attached to the tractor. The federal requirement for tie downs has a standard for holding 0.8 g deceleration in the forward direction. If the tractor is 3700#, that is under 3000# of restraint. That is way above what you can probably produce with your brakes. The damage to the car in front of him isn't that bad, probably wasn't a very hard hit. (It looks like the truck bumper went under the car bumper.) This picture shows why good tie downs are important.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:35 am

Jim Becker wrote:This picture shows why good tie downs are important.

Jim, I Agree 100+%. Scares me to death when I see any load with inadequate restraints on the road. I've seen tractors or heavy commercial mowers with maybe one loose strap or even none running at highway speed on the public ROW. I would like to see law enforcement do their job for ALL our safety. I prefer to have 4 independent tie-downs, one on each corner of the load.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Saw a Bob Cat on a trailer with no tie downs go out the road in front of my house a while back. It was a rental from the local lumber yard, and the owner's son was driving. since I know them both fairly well, I did a lot of thinking, but finally decided to call the owner. I told him I knew it wasn't going very far, but the rig wasn't tied down. He said yeah, It almost came off the trailer right in front of the store. I said, Since you know about it there is no point in me saying anything more is there. He replied, Nope. I let it go at that, but have not seen any other stuff go by without being secured.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Saw a Bob Cat on a trailer with no tie downs go out the road in front of my house a while back. It was a rental from the local lumber yard, and the owner's son was driving. since I know them both fairly well, I did a lot of thinking, but finally decided to call the owner. I told him I knew it wasn't going very far, but the rig wasn't tied down. He said yeah, It almost came off the trailer right in front of the store. I said, Since you know about it there is no point in me saying anything more is there. He replied, Nope. I let it go at that, but have not seen any other stuff go by without being secured.

I saw a city dump truck doing the same thing near where I work. I noted the truck number, time of day, and hit save on my dashcam. I made a call to the Public Works supervisor and she was irate.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Seen lots of people haul big equipment on trailers, not a tie-down in sight.
Most of them could haul like this for thousands of miles and it wouldn't move an inch.
If I tried it, I wouldn't make it out of the driveway and the tractor would roll off, total the truck, etc.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022