This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

electric power steering-154 lo-boy

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: electric power steering-154 lo-boy

Postby BigBill » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 pm

tbear wrote:Well, it sounds like nobody has installed an electric power unit, but thanks anyway. I have the steering unit and the controller from Portugal now. I have a total of $75.00 in the two parts. All that's left is to cut the steering shaft, make a way of hooking the unit to the shaft and mounting it, installing the steering wheel, hook up 3 wires and I'm good to go. Why would I go through the trouble of a hydraulic pump, pulley, belt, hoses and hydraulic steering column when this is so simple ? Be back when it's done.

Before I got prostate cancer my fel/backhoe project was moving right along. I took a five year vacation from it. It's time to return to it. I will have a seperate hyd system on it. But the power steering pump idea maybe my way to go. I want it dependable.

I'm thinking the orginal hyd system for the fel, a hyd system for power steering, a hyd system for the backhoe.

I been told I can't build it years ago. My fel uprites are done, the front subframe is done, the loader arms are done. The rear subframe is next.

I just want what I want with no big payment on a new tractor. When my work is done it's going to sit.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tbear
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54829

Postby tbear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Well, I have no need to drive in mud. sThe unit works like manual streering with the 12v shut off, no problem. I only use it to move trailers for my business. I have a ball on the front to lift them up and down so I don't have to get off to do it. I built a quick tach on the front to also handle a snow blade. It has a cab and hot water heater. I put a 160 thermostat in the top radiator hose,did a little re-plumbing and installed a VW 12v circulating pump in the heater hose to the heater. It will warm up in less than 5 minutes to where I can plow snow at-15 below in a tee shirt. And it don't over heat in summer.
Attachments
da new tractor 009.jpg

tbear
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tbear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't have to drive in mud. I only use it to move trailers for my business. I have a lift with a quick tach I built on the front for a snow blade, a bucket and a ball hitch so I can hook up trailers and lift and move them without getting off the tractor. I also have a cab I built with hot water heat. I have a 160 thermostat in the top rad. hose and a 12v VW circulating pump for the engine and the heater. It warms up in less than 5 minutes at below zero temps. and don't overheat in summer. I've plowed snow at -15 below in a tee shirt.
Attachments
da new tractor 009.jpg

tbear
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tbear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm

I never drive in mud. Only use it to move trailers and plow snow with a blade. With the 12v power shut off, it steers like any manual steering.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Take lots of pictures and measurements as you install the EAS.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tbear
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tbear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm

I don't have any mud to drive in. I only use it to move trailers and plow snow. The steering unit with the power off steers the same as manual steering.

tbear
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tbear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Sorry about the multiple postings. I couldn't figure out how to do it. Then it posted all my re-writes at once.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 pm

I purchased a trailer truck cab 12v electric heater to go with my sims cab on my 154. I figured hooking up two wires was easier than doing plumbing. I have a am/fm and cb radio too in my plans. My 105amp alternator should run it all.

For my mowing 154 I been thinking of a rv coleman roof top air conditioner. Creature comfort.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Postby toehead » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am

Tbear, any pictures of how you installed the electric steering?