This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Antifreeze in the Oil pan

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob cramer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08551

Antifreeze in the Oil pan

Postby Bob cramer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:57 am

After normal use plowing snow and shut down 154 Loboy sat idle and early spring thought I would start her up and run for a while. Wouldn't start. Initially would start and run for a few seconds and then shutdown. Thought maybe dirt in the completely rebuilt carb (tractor was a restoration that sat for in barn for 6 years). A key note, engine was frozen from sitting and during initial restoration required PB spray and Seafoam and nearly 3 weeks to break loose. But all went well and tractor ran well all fall and winter. As summer rolled around thought I would get started and figure out what's going on. With that said checked oil which was a quart above full and then checked radiator which showed coolant loss. Drained oil (looked like chocolate milk) and sure enough there was antifreeze in the oil. Drained Nearly 5 quarts. No white smoke, no metal in old oil. So...I'm thinking its a head gasket but don't want to do anything premature. No external signs of gasket failure. If I remove the head, is there a way to best ensure I won't break a head bolt. Planning on Using an impact wrench or breaker bar as necessary. What would be learned looking at plugs or doing a compression test first? Would request help on how to proceed with repair. What does a "blown" head gasket look like or worse, a cracked block. Where do you look? Thanks
Bob Cramer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Antifreeze in the Oil pan

Postby tnestell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:46 am

I believe if you do a compression check it will give you a clue as to whether or not you have a bad head gasket. Let's hope that's the problem.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am

Looking at the plugs and running a compression test may give a some indication of where the problem is but might not. If you have a compression tester, go ahead and run the test. If a single plug (or 2) is much cleaner than the others, it suggests a coolant leak into that cylinder. Likewise, much lower compression on one cylinder might indicate a blown gasket at that cylinder. Any of these indications tell you where to look first when you pull the head. After pulling the head, the failure point of a head gasket can usually be seen by close inspection.

Using an impact wrench usually gives the least chance of breaking a head bolt. When you get to each bolt, start with the wrench turned down and let it rattle the bolt a few seconds. This will help shake any rust loose. You can put some penetrating oil on each bolt before you start. But is unlikely it will soak in far enough to make any difference.

After the head is off, use a straight edge to check the head and block for flatness.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:11 am

With any head removal I send it to a local auto machine shop and have it milled to clean. It's usually .010" max.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bob cramer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08551

Postby Bob cramer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies and I just bought a head gasket from Hamilton Bob. I will put a straight edge on head and block. Do I apply a sealant on surfaces, top and bottom of gasket and bolt threads prior to assembly? Thanks

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Sealer is recommended on both sides of the gasket and a non-hardening thread sealer like PTFE paste on the head bolts.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Bob cramer wrote:Thanks for the replies and I just bought a head gasket from Hamilton Bob. I will put a straight edge on head and block. Do I apply a sealant on surfaces, top and bottom of gasket and bolt threads prior to assembly? Thanks
that's all good, but carefully inspect the headgasket to see if you can locate where coolant may have entered.....if you don't see any, there's always a possibility of a crack in the head or block, when the head is off, rotate the motor over and look for possible cracks in the cylinder walls, since the motor was frozen, you most likely will see pitting in the area where the rings were stuck, pay attention to the areas where the pistons were sitting in the cylinders if those areas are still visible.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 am

The bigger question to answer is, why did the engine overheat? In a lo-boy I just had this past spring, it was clear that someone had allowed the radiator to become plugged up, which caused the engine to overheat. The result was a blown head gasket right at the spot where Cylinder #2 is close to the water jacket. Also, when removing the head bolts, the 5 along the right side of the engine (which is also the water jacket side, not the intake/exhaust side) were all loose and easy to remove. On the intake/exhaust side and middle the bolts were all VERY tight!!! Anyway, the head gasket fixed my engine, but the real issue was all of the mowing debris (grass, dust, dirt, etc.,) that was plugging up the radiator.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”