This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO handle engagement problem

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JohnnyJay
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30558

PTO handle engagement problem

Postby JohnnyJay » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the help so far, but have another problem. When I try to engage the PTO the handle flops aroutdoor and won't stay engaged. Looked and found a long cotter pin on the handle and there is some kinda Levert hat when I hold the handle in the right place where the pin rides on the lever the PTO works. But won't stay engaged when let go. Any help and thanks ahead

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO handle engagement problem

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:47 am

There is a spring attaching the PTO control rod to the arm, clutch control. Perhaps the spring is the only thing needed to repair the PTO.

The PTO clutch is a cam consisting of several parts. Lift up on the control lever and the cam locks, engaging the PTO.

If you don't have a parts manual for the tractor, get one. You will need it when working on the PTO.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JohnnyJay
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby JohnnyJay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks will look into it. There was a C clamp at the clutches/gears when I got it.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Mine wouldn't stay ingaged because the ball bearings in the engagement plates were worn out. She would either not engage or engage and kick out. Hamiltonbonscubs had the parts she's fixed. No biggie and not big bucks to fix too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

JohnnyJay
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby JohnnyJay » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Tried it again after having to get a new radiator. Still does the same after adding a spring on the handle, that wasn't there before. Any body have any parts numbers for the PTO clutch rebuild? Thanks ahead, John

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:05 pm

JohnnyJay wrote:Tried it again after having to get a new radiator. Still does the same after adding a spring on the handle, that wasn't there before. Any body have any parts numbers for the PTO clutch rebuild? Thanks ahead, John

Eugene wrote:If you don't have a parts manual for the tractor, get one. You will need it when working on the PTO.

Check the QUICK LINKS at the upper left corner of this page.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10 pm

JohnnyJay wrote:Any body have any parts numbers for the PTO clutch rebuild?
There are 40 or more parts involved in the PTO clutch system. You need to obtain the service and parts manual.

Then disassemble the PTO mechanism to find out which parts you need.

HamiltonBobs site, bottom of this page, may have complete PTO units for sale, and sells individual parts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 pm

I re-built a couple of them dudes!!! LOL!!!!---- FIRST problem,----SPENDY!!!! repair parts kit from IH,---$260.-- AND that don't include the drum,--- That's another $400. if you need that part!---Complete NEW clutch is only $1,600. and some change!---used ( if you can find a good one is from $400. to $650.)----This was 6 years ago!
The unit is very hard to get back together----need 7 hands and a bunch of big clamps,-- but can be done in time,--(no quick fix), You must get the washers (wavy kind) facing the right direction and the right number of them put in.---I ended up taking the first one apart 2 more times to see why it wouldn't work,--and found that I needed to put in 2 "extra" wavy's in to get more tension on the thing.--snaped over center a bit hard for a while but finally seated in and it still works today, (I mow a lot with it,--mostly head high weeds and other bush hog work and clutch don't slip)----Run in L-1 and let it eat!

If you get the IH kit , it should come with a view of assembly directions! ( mine did) ---You might only need about 8 wavy washers to fix yours, ( they get weak if they been hot one time)---also the pressure plate will fit either way but only works right if faced the right direction.
Check your plates, --see if the fiber ones are thick or not , then check the steels, (drive plates), to see if they are blued from slipping or just rusty/dirty/etc. and clean them. DO NOT USE OIL BASE CLEANER anywhere around or in the clutch itself.
Get a good look at the ball slots for wear.--rubber band should be covering the space between the two halves to keep dirt/water/etc. out. thanks; sonny

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower

Postby seahaul » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:55 am

The clutch discs do wear over time so that the required amount of pressure is not obtained when engaged. It is very important that the "thickness" of the clutch pack is 0.050" smaller when engaged than when disengaged. This applies the right amount of pressure on the discs to prevent them from slipping. The rebuild procedure is covered in the manual.
Inspect the 4 discs. If they are worn smooth they must be replaced. If they still have grooves on them like a new one, the clutch may just need adjusting. On some clutches this is done by adding shims (NOT wavy washers). On other clutches, the outside pressure plate can be screwed down to adjust tension.
Once the proper adjustment is made, the handle will stay up because the 3 balls in the cam are held in place by pressure.
It's not an especially hard thing to rebuild once you understand how it functions. A caliper to measure for the 0.050" distance is necessary.
Charlie

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm

seahaul wrote: Inspect the 4 discs.
Upon disassembly of my 154's PTO, the cup and clutch friction discs were beaten to heck, with burrs hammered on the meeting edges of both.

HamilitonBobs prices are lower than your IH dealership and their service is great.

If my uncle, an engineer at IH Louisville plant, were still alive, I would ask him why IH made this form of PTO clutch. Appears to me that the clutch could have been made a lot less complex and less expensive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:17 pm

It is not an IH clutch.---it's some morph company that made them, and IH thought buying was cheeeeeper than making their own design. thanks; sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:03 pm

There cake to work on, I built big machines that use a similar setup. My PTO wouldn't stay engaged. She would kick out. Finally she pulled the knob down. It was time to fix it. I found the two ball bearings in the two round plates with the balls was worn out. Hamiltonbobscubs had the two bearings I needed. Everything else was ok. Now for the cost of two bearings she's fixed. No biggie.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Indyfarmboy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46130

Postby Indyfarmboy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Just finished mowing with mine tonight. Pushed the lever down to disengage and the blades stayed engaged. The pto lever actuated like normal. It's almost as if the clutches are welded together. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Indyfarmboy wrote:Any thoughts on what might have happened?
No idea on what happened. My guess is that the PTO's clutch, a cam mechanism with 3 ball bearings, froze up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Sounds like the clutch disks may be stuck together.---Take the unit apart and carefully check each part for wear.---you may just have to clean everything up and if parts look good , then put it back together and try it. thanks; sonny