This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Yikes! 184 Carb Rebuild Problems!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Greg Armstrong
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43074
Tractors Owned: 1980 Cub Lo-Boy 184

Yikes! 184 Carb Rebuild Problems!

Postby Greg Armstrong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Started rebuilding the carb on the 184 and can't get the needle seat out. It appears to have some black sealant around/under the rim which big first thought was just normal carb gunk... not so much. So far it's impervious to WD-40, carb cleaner, denatured alcohol soaking for hours, and heat. This thing won't budge! ...and now I really need it to because... well... brass is soft :oops:

Has anyone seen this before or have any helpful hints on how to get the needle seat removed? :help: Much thanks in advance!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Yikes! 184 Carb Rebuild Problems!

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Greg, I'm assuming it's a Zenith carb? Can you just clean it with carb cleaner and not remove the seat?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Greg Armstrong
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Greg Armstrong » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Bob, it is a Zenith and at this point leaving the old one in may not be an option... I should've stopped trying to get it out way before now. It's looking pretty ugly. I kept thinking it was going break free... resorting to vise grips should have been my hint to stop and leave it.

Greg

Greg Armstrong
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Greg Armstrong » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:58 am

Success! :{_}:

Put the body in a vise in our shop at work (something I need at home, maybe?) and used an extremely large flat head and steady pressure. The black gunk was actually the gasket - it's rock hard. Now I can finish cleaning everything up and get it running smooth this weekend!
:tractor: