This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sputters but does not run

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Focus
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44826

Sputters but does not run

Postby Focus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 am

:help: I'm new at this so bare with me. My dad had me pull his 73 International cub lo-boy out of the barn were it had set for the past 8 years. He said he parked it because he couldn't get the pto to engage. So anyhow the tires were flat the battery was dead the gas was left in it was bad and turns out the ignition parts were corroded. So I drained the fuel cleaned the carburetor ,replaced the battery,inflated the tires one needs replaced and is on order,cleaned the corrosion from the distributor,rotor,points,plugs and I have good spark. Engine turns over fine and with a little either it will sputter to life and then die. I found that if I hold my hand across the air intake side of the carb. The vacuum will draw fuel allowing it to sputter to life for a few moments until the fuel is used up. Now my question is what do I need to do or any ideas on what to do to get this old girl to run Thanks

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sputters but does not run

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:39 am

Is this tractor a number series loboy? IH Carb or Zenith? That being said, sounds like there is a fuel problem, could be anywhere from the tank/shutoff valve to the jets need cleaning or maybe a fuel filter partially plugged. Try removing the drain plug on the carb and check for pencil sized stream unrestricted flow to allow about a quart to drain from the tank. If it does not flow freely, then there is a problem between the tank and the carb. If it flows freely, then there is a problem within the carb like the jets need cleaning. There might be a filter screen in the carb inlet or the float might be sticking closed. Good luck, any pictures? Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Prime the oil pump before you go any further. Use search function, top of page for photos and directions.

Compression test, dry. Probably have a valve or two stuck open.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 am

:headbang CRS...... don't know why I can't remember important things like that but Eugene is right. You might trash the engine if you don't have oil pressure. You can pick up lots of good information about Cubs at one of the upcoming Cubfests, Barnyard Bash is about a month away. You can also find some good information at this link on the FARMALL CUB page: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon May 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Clean the fuel bowl that's under the gas tank. It's the glass bowl where the shut off is. Reassemble it then remove the fuel line from the carb, then open the gas valve a tad to make sure your gas is flowing. If all is ok the distributor is next. Remove the distributor cap and make sure there is no moisture inside the cap. Remove the rotor and make sure the contact metal of the rotor hasn't burned a path through the plastic to the shaft on the distributor. Next clean the coil wire in the distributor to inside the coil. Check for a good solid spark coming out of the distributor.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”