This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 clutch rebuild

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mjmccoy64
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75638

154 clutch rebuild

Postby mjmccoy64 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:00 pm

How difficult is it to rebuild the clutch on a 154? Purchased one today, the clutch will not release. Pins wore almost in to.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 clutch rebuild

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:55 am

Welcome.
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.p ... oy&order=0
Above link is to some of the 154 manuals on this site. Free down load. You should also obtain the service manual for the numbered Cubs.

Replacing the clutch is not that easy. There are slightly different procedures, depending on your 154's serial number.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ihcc104
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06469
eBay ID: MoodusMan101
Tractors Owned: :
Cub Cadet Original
Cub Cadet 104 (2)
Cub Lo-Boy 154 (2)
Jacobsen Chief 100 Deluxe

Postby ihcc104 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Welcome to FarmallCub

It is not very difficult, but if you have one of the older 154's taking the driveshaft out is a bit more difficult. In the beginning SN's you would have to move the engine forward to get the driveshaft out... in the later SN's you can slide the driveshaft forward into the flywheel in order to take it out without moving the engine. Keep in mind its only 6 bolts and then the fan and the engine will move forward (and linkages)... nothing on these tractors is "difficult" in comparison to some things (umm like getting the roll pins out of a Cub Cadet's driveshaft).

Fingers crossed that you have a newer 154. I took a clutch out of a "newer" 154 in about 4 hours being that it was my first time.

Cory Sanderson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:52 pm

Easy is a relative term. I find my standard Cub much easier to work on than my 154. I redid my 154's clutch when I split the tractor to repair the creeper gear.

There are some differences in parts, depending on the tractor's serial number. The service manual will tell you how to set up the clutch.

Couple of things to check when working on the clutch; throw out bearing, bushing in the flywheel, clutch brake pucks. If in doubt, replace.

A good source of parts is Hamilton Bobs Cubs, one of the advertisers on this board.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”