This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thoughts on a ''new attachment''

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49945
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Thoughts on a ''new attachment''

Postby Mike H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:06 pm

I acquired a Hobart Brothers welder head [No motor]and toying with using the 185 for the power source
the welder is pre WW 2 and can be belt drive,coupled or drive shaft.

with the ''odd size'' PTO I think the drive shaft is not an option

figure Id throw this out for discussion and see what we come up with

Mike H

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Thoughts on a ''new attachment''

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:49 pm

You can obtain an adapter for the 10 spline Cub to standard pto.

We need to know how many rpms the welder heads operates at. Also need to know the horsepower required to spin/operate the welder head.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:44 pm

1500 RPM and 200 amp, as for the HP I am still waiting for an answer on the Hobart forum.I know it wont be able to run 1/4'' rod but 3/32 should do just fine.
if I need more Hp I can hook it up to the Oliver 1650
just trying to save some work not having to rebuild a wisconson
4 cylinder

would Bob have one of the adaptors or were might I start looking for one

thank you eugene

Mike H

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Mike H wrote:... would Bob have one of the adaptors or were might I start looking for one ...

Mike,

Kubota has one that works. I was going to do a small simple project that required the adaptor. After pricing the adaptor, I decided I didn't need to do the project after all. Just shy of $50 plus shipping plus sales tax -- no thank you. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:49 pm

that's cheaper than buying the machine to make one.

we have a dealer in Dollar Bay.
have to see how much.

my wife just got over the shock of the starter/generator and voltage regulator.

even with my prefered shop pricing it would have cheaper to order on line.But I need to give a little too because they take good care of me on most other parts and its special order So.
ill make it up on the engine build [1977 351M]for the pull truck.

thank you for the lead Bill.

Mike H.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Guess we will wait and see what Hobart says.

We will probably need to know if the welder head (armature) turn direction is one direction or bi-directional.

If we had the operating voltage of the welder, we could do some conversions to obtain the minimum required pto horsepower.

I purchased the PTO adapter years ago from the IH dealer. Thinking the price was $12.?? at that time.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:22 am

Dad had a HOBART 200 amp welder and he pulled it with a 235 chevy truck engine equipped with a governor and it ran at 1750 and the ole chevy almost would not pull it!!-----We tried a tractor and flat belt and trust me THAT wont hold! LOL!!---the truck engine was direct coupled to welder by Dad's homemade universal joint so nothing could slip.
About half scale on the heat dial, and 1/8 " rods was about all it would handle!----as far as a baby cub engine I doubt that it would even get the welder spinning!

I have a couple of aircraft generators and they require excess of 20 some hp to do any serious welding!---Hope this gives a little idea of what to expect if you spent a lot of money on it and find out that it's not what you had hoped for or needed! thanks; sonny

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:02 am

Eugene its 40 volt [off the tag]

I looked at several set ups and think it can spin both directions

the unit had a wisconsin 4 cyl.32Hp.
[ghetto rigged][not even redneck standards]running CCW on a sheet metal shive from a washing machine LOL

other issues are;
drive shaft/jack shaft rated at
540-1000 rpm [need 1500 rpm]
so some ''customized'' shive work
will be in order

agreed on the 185 being too small
asking too much of it
thank you SONNY

as for investment all I have so far is time and research [enjoyment too]

Mike H

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Just hate to see a little motor get destroyed! LOL!, Like I said these things gobble POWER, LOTS of it!.---bad thing is that the steady heavy torque will make engine get very hot real fast!---The dead load is murder on the engine!--Dad put a giant rad. on the ole Chev to try and keep it cool!
The HOBART is top of the line welders!--You will like using it!---I wish I had ours back!
Dad and Uncle set the governor at 1750 engine speed which is shaft speed because he ran it in hi gear on the transmission , so welder rotation of ours was the same as the engine crankshaft.-----don't think you can run them backwards because it would tear up the brushes/holders/etc..---these have regular brushes in them just like a old tractor generator!---make sure that no mice been in the armature or that none ever get in there!---Might pay to check in there first and clean the armature up a little and see what the brushes look like too!
ours also had 40 volts on the tag, also had an ammeter and a voltmeter on it.--just take your time checking it over first as it don't sound like it had a very good life!
ours also had a electric motor made into it and I think it was 15 hp and was 3-phase-either 220 v or 440 v setting to power it. the power cord was as big as your wrist, almost and 20 feet long, was HEAVY to drag around! LOL!!-----as long as you enjoy working on it, that's the only way to learn the old stuff that some of us grew up with!---Most of it was made to last forever and work every day!

back to the 185, I would also be afraid of them little micro clutches in both the tractor and especially the pto!---the pto clutch is VERY expensive to replace or even to repair---HOW do I know???? LOL!!! ---had to re-do one a couple years ago!!!
Enjoy your welder and stay in touch with us---If you need any more info or ideas, just ask!! thanks; sonny

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:27 am

Had one of those ''Ah''moments last night poking around at it.[no it didn't bite me like the 185 did]
on the ser.# CW= clock wise [too bad for the young guys with digital watches],this matches up with the direct drive coupling in pictures on the internet.

also the armature is smooth,shows no wear ridge at the contact point of the brushes.
so this tell's me that the machine had little use
or the set up of the previous owner's did not work.

Mike H

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:39 pm

PO setup did NOT work if he was trying to run it backwards!---sounds like you may have gotten a VERY low hour unit!---good deal!! LOL!!
Just clean the armature a little with emery cloth, then blow dust out before running----it will help to get good clean contact and no arcing at the armature! ---carry on!!! thanks; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”