New 154 owner -- help identifying control lever?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
steveam
Zip Code: 15478

New 154 owner -- help identifying control lever?

Postby steveam » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:09 am

Hello all!

I'm a new owner (in southwest PA) of a 154 with a 3160 mower; a friend purchased some land and it came with the land. It's not running, although my friend saw it running last year. He didn't feel like messing with it, so he sold it to me for what I believe was a good price. I don't have it running yet, although I have tracked down the starting problem to a bad key switch that I'll need to replace. I'm pretty hopeful that once I can get power to the starter, it will run OK. I also have the operator's manuals for both the tractor and the mower.

What's puzzling me is one of the control levers on the tractor. I've got the PTO, the hydraulic lift, and the gear shift no problem (although the knob on the gear shift says 4 forward and one reverse, but just trying to shift through the gears without the tractor running seems like I only have a total of 4, which would match the 3 forward and 1 reverse that the manual states). But there's another lever, under the left part of the seat, that I can't identify. Can't find any pictures that show one, can't find anything in my manual or the ones I can find online. Can anyone help me? Once I get the thing running, I can probably determine by trial and error, but it would be nice to know ahead of time what that lever does.

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Tony

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New 154 owner -- help identifying control lever?

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Sounds like your tractor simply has the wrong knob on the shift lever.

I don't know what the other lever is. Did someone possibly add an adjustable seat? A picture if it might help one of us identify it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:14 pm

steveam wrote:But there's another lever, under the left part of the seat, that I can't identify.
The PTO lever/control is located to the left side of the seat. Just about where your fanny sits and a bit lower. This lever/control engages the PTO by lifting straight up on the knob. Press straight down to disengage the PTO.

Another knob/control on the left side is for the creeper, if your tractor is so equipped. This knob is located just to the left of your left calf. Tractor not moving, clutch depressed, pull straight out/forward to engage the creeper. To disengage, same procedure, push the knob/lever straight back/rearward.

Edit. Tractor only has 3 gears forward and 1 reverse. Replacement knobs are available at many locations. Knob has been replaced.
I have an excuse. CRS.

steveam

Postby steveam » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:56 pm

DSC00050.jpg
creeper lever?
Stupid me -- after looking online for pictures, etc., I still didn't think to include a picture. I'm attaching one to this, even though I think I have my answer already.

THANKS for the amazingly fast replies!

If it is indeed for creeper, I'm still confused. Does that option add a "creeper mode" to each of the existing gears, giving me 6 forward and 2 reverse (3/1 with the creeper out, and another 3/1 with the creeper in)? Or does the creeper override the normal gearshift lever?

Thanks again for the help!
Tony

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:05 pm

That is the creeper control lever/knob. Although the rod is bent and it would appear that the creeper is engaged. Not sure why the rod is hanging off to the tractor's left.

The creeper reduces each gear's ground speed by about 50%.

When I got my 154 the tractor ran and moved, the creeper was stuck in the engaged position. The creeper repair cost me under $10-. I had to remove all the sheet metal from the rear of the tractor and then split the tractor. It was OK that I had to split the tractor. I removed the finals and found the brake bands to be in great shape, drained the differential and replaced the hydraulic filter and fluid, touched up the PTO clutch, reworked the tractor's transmission clutch and replaced the fluid in the finals.

My out of pocket expense was just about $100- for repair parts and fluids for the tractor's rear end. Neighbor whom I purchased the tractor from asked me about the repairs. I told him about the out of pocket cost, then added that it would probably have cost me $1200- or more to have a tractor repair shop do the work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

steveam

Postby steveam » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks again; it helps knowing what that is and how it's supposed to work!

Looks like I have a bigger project ahead of me than I thought. I jumped around the faulty key switch and the engine runs fine, and the hydraulics seem ok (raised and lowered the mower deck no problem).

With creeper lever pushed in/back, tractor doesn't move at all. With it pulled out as shown in the picture, it does move both forward and backward.

Should PTO turn when clutch is pushed in? On my larger equipment, clutch stops PTO from turning as well, but not with this one -- I stalled the tractor trying to engage PTO, expecting the clutch to help out. Restarted, got the PTO turning, started moving forward a bit to see if mower worked. It worked for a short distance, then PTO lever dropped back down all by itself and disengaged. Tried to re-engage; it wouldn't, but I did get some nice smoke coming from underneath the tractor -- probably friction on the belts.

At least I was able to raise the deck, and run the tractor underneath a roof. It's an open-sided pole building, so repairs will probably wait until next year. But that gives me the winter to do some research to try to plan what I'm going to do!

Many thanks for the help so far! I'm sure you'll be getting more questions from me . . .
Tony

twotone
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:36 pm

I owned a 154 , mowed ditches with it for 10 years, then did a complete restoration. They have a live PTO, so mower should run with the clutch disengaged. When engaging the PTO, it should snap up and feel solidly engaged. PTO rebuilds can be pricey, so hopefully your PTO just needs some adjustments and cleaning. Have fun with your 154, I had fun with mine.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:41 pm

http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.p ... oy&order=0

Some manuals for the 154 are available at the above link.

I didn't see the Service Manual, GSS-1408, listed in the above link.

You will need the Parts Manual and the Service Manual for the tractor. I purchased manuals from one of the advertisers on this site. I put each page in a document protector and in a binder. Keeps my greasy finger prints off of the paper.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 am

Its like my 185 and I call them 6-speed PLUS 2 reverse gears!---also that mower is worth fixing no matter what the cost!---IF it were only 3-speed,-- I would say to junk the thing! thanks; sonny

steveam

Postby steveam » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks all for the help/support/kind words! I very nearly did not buy it; the price he tried to sell it seemed like I would be robbing him. I'm probably stupid; I actually talked him UP, offered $800 and insisted that if he wouldn't sell it to me for that, he'd have to let someone else cheat him. Looks like there will be a good bit of work involved, but I still think I got a decent deal. And maybe the repairs won't be too bad, but it's way more than I've ever attempted. My dad probably could have fixed it in his sleep, without looking at any manuals . . .

Tony

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:18 pm

You will do fine at fixing it!---these guys on here will help with info, IF you get stuck on something!---I have been in mine many times to fix problems, so just ask for help! LOL! thanks; sonny

VMBanner
Zip Code: 70737
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (12v conversion); 1950 Farmall Cub (12 V conversion); 1968 John Deere 140H1 (stock); 1972 Cub Low Boy

Postby VMBanner » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:47 am

I don't see where anyone answered your question. On my 154 and I expect on all of them, the PTO shaft is fed off of the drive shaft assembly (2 belts) which is ahead of the clutch. So, the PTO shaft that's running between your legs will turn when the engine is running. Pushing in the clutch separates the drive line to the transmission only. I suspect they did it this way because they use a very small clutch (in my opinion) for this tractor. So instead of powering the transmission and the PTO through the small clutch, they removed the PTO load and for the most part, got away with a 5" clutch on a tractor. Now, I wouldn't pull stumps or a heavy trailer with it without expecting to smell some clutch burn.