This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 Throwout bearing

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jkm2a
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38401

184 Throwout bearing

Postby jkm2a » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:09 pm

How big a deal is it to replace the throwout bearing on a 184? My clutch will no longer disengage. Tractor starts and runs OK, but if I want to drive it I have to start it in gear, and the only way to stop it is to shut off the engine. Is this something that can be replaced without completely disassembling the tractor?
CC 70, CC 100, CC 106, CC 128, CC 149, CC 169, CC 1000, CC 1450, CC 782 (2 of 'em, one early, one late), CC 982, CC 1782, Cadet 76, IH 184, IH 684, IH 3311, IH 3314, Case 222, Case 446, various Lawnboys and one old Snapper. Not all of 'em run...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: 184 Throwout bearing

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:56 am

If you do the work from underneath the tractor, it's not that bad a job.
Disconnect steering shaft and rotate forward out of way.
Remove center rockshaft assembly.
Remove throwout bearing fork (Mark which side is front facing)
Loosen the U-Joint and slide forward. (There is a C-Clip that must be moved forward first)
Remove driveshaft, throwout bearing and U-Joint.

Inspect the fork and throwout bearing carrier for wear. Weld back up and grind to shape. The fork tines should be rectangle.
Inspect the pressure plate fingers for wear. If the fingers are worn, then it can't disengage the clutch.
Check out all the clutch linkages. Any slop will contribute to the clutch disengagement issue. You may be able to adjust the clutch pedal some to help.

Spend plenty of time on adjusting the clutch when reassembling. There is barely enough clutch play to get the clearance numbers the manual calls out.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Mortgaged
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49546
Tractors Owned: 1951 F-Cub, 1964 Cub Cadet 120, 1985 Kubota B7200D

Postby Mortgaged » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:09 pm

I rebuilt the clutch on my 184 last year and it's not that bad of a job overall and took me approximately 6 hrs. Of course I couldn't stay focused and worked on a few other things at the same time, (cleaning rockshaft and supports, lubing, checking bolts, cleaning, etc.) but you get the idea. Even though only the throw out bearing was technically bad, I replaced the disc and finger assembly while I had it all apart. It's simply not worth my time to tear it down again for something that's relatively inexpensive to replace while I have it apart.

The one big thing you will struggle with that Outdoors didn't mention is the PTO. You have to partially disassemble the PTO to get the clutch out and that means that the tension spring has to be removed and then re-installed. In my mind, re-installing the tension spring was the biggest hassle to the job. One of the members posted a trick for doing this and it would be worthwhile looking it up. Wish I would have seen it before I did mine, I'm sure it would have saved a lot of aggravation. Oh yeah, great time to put in 2 new belts if you're going to use that PTO.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:32 am

Thanks for mentioning the PTO Tensioner. Easy way to do this is...
Remove right side cover.
Use a 3/4" box end on the PTO Tensioner pulley to loosen the belt and slide belts toward the front of the engine past the side of the pulley.
Once clear of pulley release tension on wrench. This now allows you to remove the spring from the tensioner. Take note of which way it is in there (take a picture). It can be installed backwards and hit the clutch.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”