This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

hi newmember have1976 low boy cub185 stalls after 15 minutes

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tony6462
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44133

hi newmember have1976 low boy cub185 stalls after 15 minutes

Postby tony6462 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:06 am

Hi

New to club, have 1976 low boy cub. After it runs for about 15 minutes in hot weather (plus 75) stalls and needs to sit for approximately 5 minutes then starts and runs again for a few minutes.

Tractor starts right up,turns over only about three times even after sitting all winter or a few weeks .Sounds great runs great no misses nothing,but will stall after cutting grass for a short period of time.

Also what is the best way to change the points and condenser. looks like no room to get in there and replace them? Would appreciate a few tips. Thanks Tony

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: hi newmember have1976 low boy cub185 stalls after 15 min

Postby Eugene » Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 am

15 minute run time, typically faulty coil.

Replacing the points. Remove distributor cap, roll engine over until rotor points to #1 cylinder plug tower location, then go around the engine and roll engine over until the pointer indicates the TDC mark on the pulley. Do this before removing the distributor from the engine.

Remove the distributor from the tractor, put distributor on bench and service.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Wed May 20, 2015 4:05 pm

Sounds like either the coil going out or vapor lock. When it quits immediately pull the hose to the air cleaner off the carb and give it a shot of starting fluid. If it fires up for a few seconds and quits you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't fire and it will only start after the coil cools down you need a new coil (common problem) . My 184 had vapor lock problems mowing on hot days till I changed over to a rubber fuel line and re-routed it.

Larry B

tony6462
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44133

Postby tony6462 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi

I appreciate you both getting back with me .I will try a new coil first and see what happens and go from there. Thank you very much. Tony

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Thu May 21, 2015 5:27 pm

When I do points on a lo boy here is what I do. Like the man said position the mark on the crankshaft pulley at TDC with the rotor pointing at the number 1 plug tower on the distributor cap. You can either just remove the distributor or the distributor and the drive housing together. If you are just going to remove the distributor mark the base of the dist at the drive housing so you can get the timing very close when you put it back. If you remove the drive housing with the dist you don"t need to mark the dist, just be sure to not get it back in 180 degrees out of time. If you take the dist out be sure to remove the breaker plate and check the advance weighs and springs. Many times they rust up and don't advance. Check the insulator on the side of the dist too. I have seen them deteriorate and get wet and cause ignition problems. When you put the dist back in check the timing dynamically with a timing light and check to make sure the advance works.

Larry B

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”