This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

still not charging

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

still not charging

Postby BigBill » Sun May 17, 2015 6:30 pm

I changed the frayed wiring, new regulator, new battery. Changed the amp Gage. When we first fired it up it had a ground problem. We had it charging at first. Then nothing.
Now I polarized it and when I turn the key on without starting it, it shows charging on the amp Gage.
I have no clue now....
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: still not charging

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun May 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Try swapping the wires on the amp gage if it is showing chg when you first turn on the key and before starting.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Numbered Cub with starter/generator or just a generator?
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon May 18, 2015 12:49 pm

I tried swapping the wires on the amp Gage. Nada. It's the starter generator. The engine flus over really fast. The starting and machine runs great like new. The engine has a fresh rebuild on it. It's been sitting for two years when I got it the PO passed what a buy for $800 running with a 3260 deck.
It's such a sweet machine to mow with.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon May 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Are you sure the gauge is working correctly?
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 pm

I swapped the Gauge from a cub cadet I have for parts. I was just thinking that today to try another amp Gauge. Good thinking. The original one stopped working. I think it wore itself out bouncing around with the old electrical system.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed May 20, 2015 9:28 pm

I have a pinched nerve in my hip so it may take me time to swap the gauge.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 am

Have you taken the starter/Generator apart to give it a good cleaning and check brushes. Sometimes that is all it takes, and sometimes not.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Thu May 21, 2015 6:20 am

If the tractor will start and run before I would pull the start/gen apart get a volt meter and measure the voltage at the battery with everything off and then when running. The voltage should be around 13 volts when running. If so it is charging the battery regardless of what the ammeter says. If engine running battery voltage is lower than battery voltage with key off then measure voltage from ground to wire from start/gen to regulator with engine running and see if it is above 12 volts. If I was swapping out guages I would opt for a voltmeter instead of an ammeter. Much better indicator of what is happening. (my $00.02)

Larry B

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu May 21, 2015 7:10 am

The starter/generator cranks over the engine. The charging problem is not the starter/generator.

The problem is located some place from the voltage regulator to the battery.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat May 23, 2015 8:02 pm

I went through the whole system. New wire harness front and rear, new regulator, good s/g, new battery. We had it charging at first. We had a ground cable problem fixed that. The amp gage didn't move and the battery died while mowing
Now replaced the amp gage with a used one. It goes to charge when I turn the key on. No discharge when I turn on the headlines on with the engine off.

This 154 runs awesome. The engine flys over on a full battery. Need to get a new amp gage.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Mon May 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Unless your amp guage is open I doubt if that is the problem. Here are some things to try to check the charging system.

remove the belt from the S/G and the wires from the F and A terminals. take a piece of heavy guage wire (10 at least) and connect one end to the + on the battery and touch the other to the A terminal on the S/G for a couple seconds to spin it up to speed and remove the wire and see how long it takes the S/G to spin down. Should be like 5 seconds. Next, connect the wire to the A terminal for 2 seconds then immediately move it to the F terminal. the S/G should spin down much quicker due to the electric braking action. If it does the S/G is good. If no difference probably have an open field coil.

Reconnect the wires to the A and F terminals on the S/G. There should be a wire from the F term on the S/G to the F term on the regulator and a wire from the A terminal of the S/G to the GEN term on the regulator. Disconnect the wire from the BATT term on the and measure voltage from wire to ground. Should be battery voltage. Original wire went through a connector and the ammeter. If you don't have battery voltage on the wire there is a wiring problem. Be sure the frame of the regulator has good ground connection. Have seen charging problems from corroded ground connection on regulator.

If you have battery voltage on the wire reconnect it to the BATT term on the regulator. Measure battery voltage with everything off. Start tractor and run at high idle. measure voltage from ground to F terminal on S/G. Should be around 13-17 volts. Next measure from ground to the BATT terminal of the regulator. Should be 13-14 volts. Next measure from ground to + on battery. Should be the same as BATT terminal on regulator and higher than battery voltage with tractor not running. If so then the system is charging.

The ammeter thing is odd. Most meters are marked + and - on the terminals. + goes to the battery and - to the BATT term on the regulator and the fuse to the lights. I don't think the current for the ignition system on a 185 goes through the ammeter but the lights do. Ammeter should show discharge if you turn on the lights with key on or off. I am assuming that when you rewired you retained the original wiring scheme.

I hope some of this may help
Larry B

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Got it bad amp gauge. It worked after all the work was done then died. It was constantly bouncing around(needle).
Now the battery is fully charged she starts up fast. She runs awesome.

Next is new square o rings in the hyd selector valve. The 3pt and mower leak down. No leaks on the outside.

Then a total inspection then if she passes new paint.