This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mower deck

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 79118

Mower deck

Postby travlitt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:10 am

I have a this new 60" mower deck that was built to run on a ZTR mower.

I would like to modify it so it would work under my cub cadet Lo boy 154.
Can this be done?
Attachments
IMG_1325.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mower deck

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:27 am

It's not a Cub Cadet nor a low-boy. It's a 154.

Answer to your question is yes, it can be done. But not financially practical.

You will need a PTO pulley of the correct size, idlers, belt, and mounting brackets. Cheaper to purchase a complete mower that fits the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mortgaged
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49546
Tractors Owned: 1951 F-Cub, 1964 Cub Cadet 120, 1985 Kubota B7200D

Postby Mortgaged » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:42 am

Eugene is probably right, but.....

Man this would be a cool project and would certainly be a major upgrade compared to the mower's available for the 154. If you have access to steel and the proper fab equipment it seems like it'd be a good project and definitely doable.

I would start by simply placing it under the tractor and getting a look at how it fits. Can it be mounted properly? Belt height ok at both raised and lowered mower heights? Clearance when it's raised? Can some steel be routed and setup to firmly and safely hold the deck in place? You get the idea.

My second concern would be that the 154 wouldn't have enough power to spin those high vacuum blades like the original ZTR did. That ZTR easily had 20+ hp and 2x the rpm of the cub engine which you'll have to try and compensate for. Most likely you'll have to compromise and slow down the blade speed or change the blade type so it's not moving so much air. Sheaves aren't super expensive, but they can add up pretty quickly if you have to test multiple sizes to find something that will work.

Keep us updated if you give it a try!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:46 am

you may not have enough room under the 154 to allow the mower to raise/lower!---also you would have to come up with the pipe/pulley drive.--also the flat part would have to be in front--which would mean mounting the thing backwards!---in my book NOT something affordable and even if you got it under there, you would not be happy with it! thanks; sonny

travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby travlitt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:54 pm

I stand corrected..It is a 154..
Keep in mind this 154 is new to me and has been setting for the last 5 yrs. or so.
I do have it running now, but still have a lot of work to do to it.
When I get it mechanical sound, I will place the deck under the 154 and see if it can be hooked up and made to cut grass.
Thanks for the input and opinions. I do love a challenge such as this.

My last project, a huge challenge, was to convert a standard 3 point hole digger to a quick hitch compatible hole digger. That was successful.
Pretty easy to just back up to the digger,line up connection points, raise the lift, connect the drive line and go dig holes.

IMG_1616.JPG

travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby travlitt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 pm

SONNY wrote:you may not have enough room under the 154 to allow the mower to raise/lower!---also you would have to come up with the pipe/pulley drive.--also the flat part would have to be in front--which would mean mounting the thing backwards!---in my book NOT something affordable and even if you got it under there, you would not be happy with it! thanks; sonny

I don't understand why the flat part would have to be in front.

travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby travlitt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:24 am

Eugene wrote:It's not a Cub Cadet nor a low-boy. It's a 154.

Answer to your question is yes, it can be done. But not financially practical.

You will need a PTO pulley of the correct size, idlers, belt, and mounting brackets. Cheaper to purchase a complete mower that fits the tractor.

I have a complete 60" mower deck that came with the tractor. I have all of the pulleys,idlers and brackets. The deck is usable but needs rebuilding.
I have this new ZTR deck that I have no other need for so that is why I would like to try to make it work on the 154.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Lay it under the tractor then work from there.-- does your tractor have the fat tires or the good tall skinny ones!---You also will have to watch the push arms and make sure they don't hit the tires when in the up position.--My 185 (the fat tire one) has wheel spacers to sit the tires out about an inch, BUT tires still hit mower.--this is a new woods 59 deck.
If starting from scratch you have a better chance to custom make stuff to fit your tractor!
NOW comes the bad news!--- remember that engine has only 9.1 hp when new!---so you may have to experiment with blade speed to find something that will cut grass and not kill all the power!---also do you have the 6 speed setup in the 154 or just the ole 3 speed?
best of luck and keep us posted of your progress,---with pics. if possible!!! thanks; sonny

travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby travlitt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:51 pm

I thought my 154 has 14 hp.
I have the 3 speed.
I will take lots of pics as I progress.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Travlitt,
Your tractor has the 15 hp version of the C-60 Cub engine. As Sonny mentions, that engine is a good little engine, but a 60-inch mower is quite a pull on it, so you may have trouble running the mower deck unless your engine is in top condition. This is true of any Cub engine, not just yours, all of them have to be in top shape to run a 60-inch deck.

Also, all of the tractors have a 3-speed transmission. The number series lo-boys (154, 185, 184) were offered with a creeper drive (similar to what was offered in the Cub Cadets) which gives you 3 gears lower than standard first gear. The transmission and shifter are identical. If you have a creeper drive, you will have a lever down in the left foot well, protruding from under the seat, that you can pull out to engage the lower gears. The big benefit to this is being able to slow down you drive speed while keeping the engine RPMs up so that a mower, tiller, snow blower, etc., can chew through whatever it's working on.

As others have mentioned, it's probable that you can make the mower deck work. It's going to take a lot of rigging, and the first step will definitely be getting the deck under the tractor to see how it fits. The lo-boy is not that high off the ground, so you may have issues with lifting it. Also, the front to back spacing between the front and rear wheels is not that wide, but you shouldn't have any problems there. The Woods mowers have a pretty wide flare hanging off the back that causes them to rub the rear tires often, but usually it just means the deck is not set up and adjusted properly. Part of the belt adjustment on the Woods mowers involves un pinning and sliding the mower deck forward/backward to tension the belt, then adjusting the idler pulleys in the back for fine adjustment. With a new belt on, sometimes it's tough to get the deck far enough forward where it's supposed to be until the belt stretches a bit. So, regardless, you'll have your work cut out for you.

Good luck,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:09 pm

travlitt wrote:I thought my 154 has 14 hp. I have the 3 speed.
The engine is rated at around 13 horse power with perhaps a bit under 10 HP on the drawbar.

I have a 154, decent engine, creeper (6 speed), and a 3260 (60" mower deck). If the grass gets to tall the tractor struggles in low creeper with the deck raised to maximum elevation.

I have a standard Cub with Woods 42 mower deck. The standard Cub has quite a bit more clearance under the torque tube than the 154.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 am

A 60" mower deck is a 60" mower deck. You can spin the blades at the same rate as a 3160 deck and get similar results to the 3160. The blades do not have to turn faster just because this came off a 10mph zero turn. These decks usually sit on the ground allowing the deck wheels to support the weight of the deck and maintain the cutting height. You only have to fabricate a way to lift the deck off the ground and keep the belt tight.

Since we are discussing zero turn mowers, perhaps you should mount this deck in front of the tractor using your snowblade mount? :lol: :roll:
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby travlitt » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:28 am

Outdoor4evr,

I am on the same page as you are.
It is true, a 60" deck is a 60" deck. I have the original PTO rear drive pulley as well as the 2 idler pulleys. If the ZTR mandrel pulleys are the same diameter as the 3160 mandrel pulleys, blade speed will be the same. The ZTR deck has a 4 chain hanging system. I think it would be simple to modify the deck to work with the 154's lift system. Stability left and right would be the biggest problem. I have a pretty good idea how to accomplish that.

Mortgaged
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49546
Tractors Owned: 1951 F-Cub, 1964 Cub Cadet 120, 1985 Kubota B7200D

Postby Mortgaged » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 am

You're forgetting that the cub engine is low rpm, approximately 1/2 that of the ZTR engine. So you'll need a pulley 2x the size to get the same blade speed. Obviously that's not going to happen so you'll have to settle for a lower blade speed.

A 60" deck is not a 60" deck. Sorry. ZTR's use a high vacuum deck that pulls a lot of air and spins at high rpm to stand the blade of grass up when cutting, finely mulch the clippings, cuts wet grass or in the rain, and allows travel at high ground speed. You won't do that with ANY version of the typical cub decks and get good results. I use a 27hp Ferris with a 60" deck and there's simply no comparison to the cub (stating the obvious).

travlitt
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby travlitt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:07 am

Mortgaged wrote:You're forgetting that the cub engine is low rpm, approximately 1/2 that of the ZTR engine. So you'll need a pulley 2x the size to get the same blade speed. Obviously that's not going to happen so you'll have to settle for a lower blade speed.

A 60" deck is not a 60" deck. Sorry. ZTR's use a high vacuum deck that pulls a lot of air and spins at high rpm to stand the blade of grass up when cutting, finely mulch the clippings, cuts wet grass or in the rain, and allows travel at high ground speed. You won't do that with ANY version of the typical cub decks and get good results. I use a 27hp Ferris with a 60" deck and there's simply no comparison to the cub (stating the obvious).

I am not looking for a ZTR performance.
My reference to a 60" deck is a 60" deck..is you will be cutting 60" strip of grass.
Ground speed and blade speed will remain the same regardless of which deck you have under the 154.
I can reduce the air volume by installing low lift blades.
Thanks for your input.
Travis
Last edited by travlitt on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”