This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 alternator issue

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

184 alternator issue

Postby mjr46 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:37 pm

So I fired up my newly rebuilt 184 c60 motor last night and all seemed well, the first 30 sec of running I saw sparks coming out of the alternator.....and a few min later I noticed my charge meter was swung left to the discharge side, so I'm thinking my alternator is toast?? My question is in my service manual I see the 184 has some sort of resistor set up?? mine is not using such or it is long gone, I noticed there is a ball of wires 2-4 tied together and I assume they went to such.........it's been this way since I bought it 2 years ago, so I assume that not having the resistor set up is not needed?? Haven't had a charging issue until last night when the sparks were flying........Also, what do I do for a new alt?? get mine rebuilt?? buy a reman?? if so where?? sINCE MINE IS NOT USING THE RESISTOR set up currently were there certain models that didn't employ such or was it standard for all 184's?? Any help uncovering this mystery would be appreciated :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Re: 184 alternator issue

Postby Larry B » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 pm

The alternator on the 184 is a standard delcotron GM alternator. You can readily find all the parts you need to rebuild it and instructions online or you can get a new or used one. Any junk yard will have hundreds of them. There are some different versions so you need to find one with the same 2-wire plug as the one you have. Amperage is not a big concern. Most cars came with a 37 amp one which will work fine.The resistor should be mounted on the back of the alternator. It is a 4 ohm resistor. Hamilton Bob sells it for $10. you need to use one, it is used to excite the alternator. Wire it per the manual.

Larry B

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:55 am

I've run plenty of 1 wire alts without a need for an exciter circuit, the are self-exciting to begin charging once a change in rpm occurs...usually bliping the throttle on a car, all that does on the tractor since there is no gas peddle is begin the cycle once it starts up to raising the throttle is not necessary to begin charging. Which is why mine has worked fine, however with the resistor I'm sure it'd be a tad more user friendly but not necessary. Mine is not using the 2 wire plug, it has a cap over an area that says do not remove, it just has the charge wire hooked to the back..........Do you know what cars to get one off of/order one for??

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:54 am

mjr46 wrote: Mine is not using the 2 wire plug, it has a cap over an area that says do not remove, it just has the charge wire hooked to the back..........Do you know what cars to get one off of/order one for??
Take you old alternator to your favorite auto parts store. The old guy behind the counter will know.

Since your alternator only has one wire - it's a single wire Delco clone. They are inexpensive, cheaper to purchase one than to have it rebuilt.
I have an excuse. CRS.

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Eugene wrote:
mjr46 wrote: Mine is not using the 2 wire plug, it has a cap over an area that says do not remove, it just has the charge wire hooked to the back..........Do you know what cars to get one off of/order one for??
Take you old alternator to your favorite auto parts store. The old guy behind the counter will know.

Since your alternator only has one wire - it's a single wire Delco clone. They are inexpensive, cheaper to purchase one than to have it rebuilt.
lol....see that's the problem.......most of the bafoons ......no let me rephrase that.....all of them behind the counter are in their mid 20's, none of them have a clue unless they can look it up by year make and model......the parts store guys here are not very competent.......guess I'll have to figure something out......I mean someone has to of had to buy an alt for one of these things and knows what year make and model car to use??

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Boss Hog wrote:I am not going to tell you put an alternator on it, but I would if it was mine or in my shop
about $50 for alt and $16.50 core charge, you can use the brackets that you have , see my how to
NAPA Alt # is 13-401 SW for a single wire alt life time warranty
Boss
I have an excuse. CRS.

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 pm

now that's what I'm looking for!! thanks Eugene!!! we'll see how it goes tomorrow at napa crapa.........lol

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Eugene wrote:
Boss Hog wrote:I am not going to tell you put an alternator on it, but I would if it was mine or in my shop
about $50 for alt and $16.50 core charge, you can use the brackets that you have , see my how to
Boss
I try and use that part number at the napa website and it doesn't find anything on the search???

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:10 am

mjr46 wrote:
Eugene wrote:
Boss
I try and use that part number at the napa website and it doesn't find anything on the search???

Try this number: RAY 2134011SW
Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:05 am

mjr46 wrote:I try and use that part number at the napa website and it doesn't find anything on the search???
I just did a Google search for "single wire alternator NAPA". And AutoZone. Part numbers for single wire alternators popped up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:22 am

Eugene wrote:
mjr46 wrote:I try and use that part number at the napa website and it doesn't find anything on the search???
I just did a Google search for "single wire alternator NAPA". And AutoZone. Part numbers for single wire alternators popped up.

thanks, yeah I went down to napa first thing by our shop and they pulled one that looks like it'll work....looks like someone replaced the alt on mine in the past and did away with the resistor and plug that plugs into the side......the wires and connectors are all still there just tapped back......it appears that mine is a marine application one as it has all the fine screens on it and only the marine application ones came up as such.....oh well, hopefully soon I'll have pics posted up of this thing to show the community my progress. thanks Eugene!!!!

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am

new alt in and charging once again!!!! total cost 41.00 and some change......my old one had Marine labeled on the back....lol......must of been what someone had laying around.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”