This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dyno Testing a Numbered Lo-Boy

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Dyno Testing a Numbered Lo-Boy

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:38 am

Has a 184 Lo-Boy ever been tested to see what the actual HP is compared to a regular Cub?

Whoops, maybe this should have been in the Lo-Boy forum. Mods can move it if necessary.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Dyno Testing a Numbered Lo-Boy

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 am

Ron, I think Rick Prentice did several at the Tug at Bigdog's and maybe CI. Pretty sure he did Larry Dotson's, but I don't remember which # it was. There didn't seem to be much correlation between the dyno results and the Tug results. That's not your question though.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:22 pm

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:19 pm

I put my drag race car on a full body dyne and had 299HP @ rear wheels at 6,800rpm. My point is I lost 100hp through the drive train.
Using the power through the finals could make a difference. The final drives are like a torque multiplier. My point is there's a 100hp difference between the engine dyne and the full body dyne that's a 25% difference. To load the drive train properly it needs to be in third gear or it's highest gear.

A cub with turf tires would work on a full body dyne.

I built dynamomenters at Otis ever
Elevator which one dc 269 motor was equal to 28 427 Chevy engines torque wise. The elevators in the world trade center had the bigger 369 dc motors. You could almost walk uprite when the armature was out through the field coils. Your looking at 35k to 55k pounds of machinery. We coupled them throughout a 200,000 inch pound torque meter. We would load the newly designed state of the art AC MOTORS against the older DC motors to check the torque specs. They found out that a smaller sized AC motor had the equal power factor but the smaller motor came with a price it ran hotter. The development of the AC MOTORS in the industry has come a long way.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Now in building two stroke dirt bike engines without the valves the early piston ported engine you had a faster top end bike I could make the envelope of the power band wider. But you hand less bottom end which was the norm anyway but top end you had a 120mph on your wrist if you wicked it good. Then the exhaust port was lowered by a rotating valve or guillotine which increased more bottom end but it lowered the top speed to 85mph if that. It's a give and take situation.

Now I can port a four stroke engine that will respond to the increase in throttle before you rev it up it responds that quickly to the throttle movement. For cars with the weight it's ok but with a tractor it might throw us off. I can make more power but the governor needs to be reworked too. One thing or one change may not make the difference.
I install headers and the dual exhaust on a standard shift 4x4 truck and noticed no change. The gearing his the change. Now I install the same exhaust headers and system in an automatic tranny 4x4 truck and can feel the difference right away.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”