This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

my first int154 had me ready to give up.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

my first int154 had me ready to give up.

Postby BigBill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Ok here's a refresh on what I've done.

The electrical system wasn't charging. I found a frayed wire under the dash board. The tractor Sat till I found the time to fix it. Along came the cancer and it sat for over a year with everything else. I replaced the whole wiring system. Replaced the starter/generator and regulator. I was thinking I was all set. Nope it continued not to start or charge the battery. We ohm' d out the system. The s/g was charging 13 volts. But it wasn't getting out to the battery because of a bad ground connection. Ok we finally had 13 volts at the battery. We're all good now right? Nope again the new s/g was turning slower and slower when trying to start the engine. It would be slow like a hand crank. It would start finally but when hot the s/g wouldn't crank at all. Ok it finally died yup a brand new s/g from sleezebay. This last Sunday my son came over and replaced the brand new starter with the old one. It works perfect. I figured replacing everything with brand new parts I wouldn't have a problem right?
It really tested me. I beat it finally.

When the electrical system wasn't charging correctly the engine would slow down when engaging the pto. Now it's stays at a steady speed when I engage the pto, I guess it's happy, happy now.

I didn't sell it but I was thinking about it. She runs like when I first purchased it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: my first int154 had me ready to give up.

Postby gitractorman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:14 am

Bill,
That's all pretty common stuff on the 154 tractors. Unfortunately, it's probably one of the weaker points of the 154 setup, using a starter/generator from a Cub Cadet to try to turn over the C60 engine is just a lot for that little Delco starter to handle. Add on 40+ years of use on the engine and the overall wear and tear, not starting really quickly and needing to crank a little more, and it's just a bit more than the S/G can handle. A new set of brushes in your old S/G will probably bring it back to life, but making sure the C60 engine is in tip-top tuning will also help a ton!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”